Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Japher
    I'm envious of the hammer and sickle logo

America needs a cool logo like that. Not to say I don't like the stars and stripes, but I would suggest adding a battle like flag that would have a gun on it or something.
    Dont tread on me?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by The Vagabond

We don't celebrate the end. We celebrate a new beginning.
      Im glad you see 1991 as a new and hopefilled beginning. I can only hope that soon all your fellow countrymen will again see that, and we all see the promise of 1991 fulfilled.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

How fitting

teh Reagan Live at Brandenburg 20th anniversary

The beginning of the end of the Cold War
        On June 12, 1987, President Ronald Reagan spoke the people of West Berlin at the base of the Brandenburg Gate, near the Berlin wall. Due to the amplification system being used, the President's words could also be heard on the Eastern (Communist-controlled) side of the wall. The address Reagan delivered that day is considered by many to have affirmed the beginning of the end of the Cold War and the fall of communism. On Nov. 9-11, 1989, the people of a free Berlin tore down that wall.

Of all his speeches, Ronald Reagan's "tear down that wall," address may well become the "Great Communicator's" best remembered. The following is an excerpt from President Reagan's address.

"In the 1950s, Khrushchev predicted: 'We will bury you.' But in the West today, we see a free world that has achieved a level of prosperity and well-being unprecedented in all human history.

In the Communist world, we see failure, technological backwardness, declining standards of health, even want of the most basic kind--too little food. Even today, the Soviet Union still cannot feed itself. After these four decades, then, there stands before the entire world one great and inescapable conclusion: Freedom leads to prosperity. Freedom replaces the ancient hatreds among the nations with comity and peace. Freedom is the victor.

"And now the Soviets themselves may, in a limited way, be coming to understand the importance of freedom. We hear much from Moscow about a new policy of reform and openness. Some political prisoners have been released. Certain foreign news broadcasts are no longer being jammed. Some economic enterprises have been permitted to operate with greater freedom from state control.

"Are these the beginnings of profound changes in the Soviet state? Or are they token gestures, intended to raise false hopes in the West, or to strengthen the Soviet system without changing it? We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty can only strengthen the cause of world peace. There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace.

"General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!'"
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Dont tread on me?
          You don't really see that one any more. Besides, it's lame. It's like the snake is asking, no begging, you to not step on it. Would be better if it was a snake it the words were "Come on, I dare you"
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

You don't really see that one any more. Besides, it's lame. It's like the snake is asking, no begging, you to not step on it. Would be better if it was a snake it the words were "Come on, I dare you"
            In those days snakes were more mature then that.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
              For a good discussion, I would refer you to Robert Conquest's history of the great famine,
              I wouldn't.

in which he also discusses the evolving usage of the word "kulak".
              The word "kulak" means "fist" in Russian. It's pretty obvios that rich peasants recieved this nickname for beating their hired workers "batraks" (poor peasants).

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

I wouldn't.

The word "kulak" means "fist" in Russian. It's pretty obvios that rich peasants recieved this nickname for beating their hired workers "batraks" (poor peasants).
                whats not clear is if it referred to only those who lent money, for example, or abused their labor, or to all who had a certain amount of land. And the amount of land you needed to have had to be called a kulak changed during the 1920s. and ultimately, under Stalin, ANY peasant who resisted collectivization was a "kulak". Conquest documents that in some detail.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

whats not clear is if it referred to only those who lent money, for example, or abused their labor, or to all who had a certain amount of land. And the amount of land you needed to have had to be called a kulak changed during the 1920s. and ultimately, under Stalin, ANY peasant who resisted collectivization was a "kulak". Conquest documents that in some detail.
                  The word "kulak" is not a soviet invention. Peasants across all Russia used it long time before the Bolsheviks took the power in 1917.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

The word "kulak" is not a soviet invention. Peasants across all Russia used it long time before the Bolsheviks took the power in 1917.
                    Indeed, but CH was asking about the symbolism on the Soviet flag, so the bolshevik usage would seem to be more relevant.

Comment

Happy Russia Day!

What happened on today's date?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                        Happy Russia Day!

From Above

On June 12, 1987, President Ronald Reagan spoke the people of West Berlin at the base of the Brandenburg Gate, near the Berlin wall. Due to the amplification system being used, the President's words could also be heard on the Eastern (Communist-controlled) side of the wall. The address Reagan delivered that day is considered by many to have affirmed the beginning of the end of the Cold War and the fall of communism.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          Happy Russia Day!

"Russia Day is a holiday of national unity celebrated in Russia on June 12. On this day, in 1990, Russian parliament formally declared its sovereignty. The holiday changed its name twice. Initially it was named Independence Day then in 1994 was renamed to Day of the adoption of the Declaration of Sovereignty of the Russian Federation and finally on 1 February 2002 was officially renamed to Russia Day (in 1998 Boris Yeltsin offered this name socially). While the holiday has been officially recognized since 1991 when it was established by Boris Yeltsin, 2003 is the first year that it was celebrated in a major way, when promoted by Vladimir Putin."

Basically its when Russia declared independence from the USSR.

History's ironies.

Comment

Ñ ïðàçäíèêîì!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                                You make really ****ty commercial airplanes.
                                Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X