The tragedy of education in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tragedy of education in India

A very insightful article I found about the effects the lopsided implementation of an education system is having on India. Unless we sort out this major problem first, there is no way we can even dream of great power status. But I've realised that dreaming of superpower status is folly when such a huge number of my fellow Indians are suffering so much due to structural problems in Indian society and a complete lack of institutions to hold it up.

The dominance of Angreziyat in our education

She points out how adopting English as the national language has been a huge and unmitigated disaster, due to the fact that only a very small elite knows this language, and by conducting the business of the state in a language accessible only to the few, how we cut off the vast, vast majority of the subjects of the state from everything a state is supposed to provide, including even the justice mechanism.

It also leads to alienation - the people educated only in English, and in whose schools people are actually punished for speaking in their mother tongue (most English-medium schools, to enhance their prestige, make it a punishable offence for students to speak in any language other than English), are unable to identify with the wider society in which they are living, and lose all sense of empathy and compassion with the people who look up to them as an elite.

Now, I still haven't completely got over my anti-Indian and anti-Hindi (and anti-Marathi) prejudices which the system tried to instil throughout my education, but because I never really bought into them in the first place, and because my family has a rich tradition of literary activity in our languages, the process is very easy for me. For millions of others, however, it is not, because they know only that English which is taught, usually in a very distorted form, and because learning their own languages brings no rewards, they dump their own traditions completely, ending up with no tradition or literary exposure whatsoever, and a consequent stunting of the ability to think and analyse from both the imported and their own traditional point of view. It is a monumental loss of culture.

The pernicious effects of colonialism linger on.........

Imagine there's a [strikethrough]war[/strikethrough] aneeshm-thread and nobody shows up.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Then divide india in many stans according to languages

:P
        I need a foot massage

Comment

A few years back, I flew from Los Angeles to Taiwan to Kuala Lampur to Hong Kong to Mauritius. Everywhere signs and verbal directions were in English. If India wants to be a superpower in THIS world, its citizenry really need to be able to speak English.

Comment

Do they have Schrippen in India?
            Blah

Comment

English is the language in Indian schools?
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

What portion of the population of India speak Hindi? What portion of the population has access to schools at all? It is my understanding that India doesn't really have a public school system.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Now, I still haven't completely got over my anti-Indian and anti-Hindi (and anti-Marathi) prejudices which the system tried to instil throughout my education

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Comment

Re: The tragedy of education in India

Originally posted by aneeshm

The pernicious effects of colonialism linger on.........

Yeah. Like having a united country. A democratic republic. Minority rights. And a working legal system.

Oh, you poor kid.

Comment

A tragedy of education in India --> aneeshm

"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

India has a great education system for the best students, truly world class, but the middling students are under served by lack of enough campuses while some 40% of the population (disproportionately women) never even get a chance to learn how to read. India has done well at the top so now it needs to push that level of quality down so that the middle and lower groupings can also have access to quality education. With the booming economy the government now has more money to pay for education infrastructure which for the basis for future generations of economic growth.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

BTW English has been one of the few things India got right post independence because if the Hindu nationalists got their way and were seen as forcing their culture on the hundreds of other ethnic and religious groups India literally would have disintegrated into a bunch of smaller states. English was chosen precisely because it was widely spread and because it wouldn't be seen as favoring one group over others.

The OP seems like a bunch of typical Hindu Nationalist BS.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

English was chosen because it was equally foreign to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X