"State of Fear"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "State of Fear"

Yes, I read it. I was bored on Commencement weekend, stuck on campus for the weekend with nothing to do, and the campus bookstore had it on a major sale, so I said what the hell and bought it.

It's not hard to see why it was on clearance. As fiction, it's pretty terrible, below even standard Michael Crichton levels. You've got a ton of nonsensical loose ends (why the hell would you assassinate someone with an obscure poisonous octopus when it's clearly in your power to snuff them inconspicuously?), cliches bordering on the insulting (strong-but-silent native guide, oongawa!), and of course plenty of gratuitous sexual content described too woodenly even to be titillating. And the plot is pretty hard to believe to begin with, as it involves (ahem) an environmentalist group engineering environmental catastrophes to make global warming seem real so they can profit by scaring people. Yes, it's as dumb as it sounds.

The polemic overwhelms the story's logic at times, as when the hero/Jack Chick-style Numbskull Doubter figure believes that global warming might alter our planet's rotation. That was pretty comical. And I'm inclined to take Crichton with more than a grain of salt after such believable classics as "The Terminal Man," where epilepsy supposedly makes a quiet guy into a hypersexual serial killer, and "Prey," a tale of grey goo that melts like the Wicked Witch of the West the second it's exposed to a bacteriophage attacking its symbiotes.

Even with all that, some of the arguments he cited against GW appear respectable, though I of course know nothing of climatology. The bits about disproportionate urban heat increases, and the actual cooling of the atmosphere compared to the ground, seemed damning. My perspective remains largely unaltered by the book ("the science is beyond me, but the proposed cure is worse than the disease so who gives a rat's ass?"), but it did get me thinking more about the subject. I've only now worked up the courage to admit I took something from a MC book somewhat seriously. Plus the book's a few years old now. Anyone here know the current state of the arguments he cited? Failing that, anyone else want to rag on the ludicrous plot?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Reading for pleasure is very relaxing, isn't it?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Even with all that, some of the arguments he cited against GW appear respectable, though I of course know nothing of climatology. The bits about disproportionate urban heat increases, and the actual cooling of the atmosphere compared to the ground, seemed damning.
      And you tried so hard to sound intelligent in your review too.

Comment

I made it less than a chapter into that book.

Comment

the proposed cure is worse than the disease
          Waaaaaaaa?
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I've seen some pretty vehement debunkings of MC's claims online. Not that I understand the science behind all of this either...

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

Waaaaaaaa?
              Driving hybrids isn't going to cut it if the theories are true. We'd have to cut emissions so drastically as to change our whole way of life. Between lots of freak storms and practically reverting to 1800, I'll take the freak storms. Especially if, as they say, some of the catastrophe voodoo is inevitable at this point. I'd rather deal with the problem with technology, thank you. I support alternative fuels just because of sustainability, but dammit, we have to burn something.

Kuci, it's different when you're alone in a dorm room with nothing to read but de Tocqueville's "Democracy in America," which I foolishly brought along to pass the time. Fascinating insights, I'm sure, but it makes you soooo sleepy. Whereas SoF had lots of unintentional humor.

Arrian, do you have any links?
              1011 1100

Comment

Just google Crichton and environment or something. You'll get a load of hits, some pro, some con.

Here is one con, and it addresses the urban heat thing and other Crichton arguments.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Driving hybrids isn't going to cut it if the theories are true. We'd have to cut emissions so drastically as to change our whole way of life.
                  Not really. The 'Kyoto would wreck our economy' trope is basically nonsense.

Comment

Kyoto also wouldn't stop global warming.

Comment

back when Crichton was writing in Jurassic Park about teh eevil biologists and engineers, and threat they presented to human life, and even suggested that we were all better off as hunter-gatherers I found his scinece unconvincing. Now hes on about the enviros, hes still unconvincing.

Man does sell alot of books though, I can admire him for that.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

OTOH, Jurassic Park was actually a decent book.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Kyoto. If Kyoto were all we needed, I'd have no problem with it. If you can point me to something that claims we can avert GW without turning our society upside down, please do.

LOTM, even Crichton's not that unsubtle. And yes, JP was a fun read--because the science more or less served the story, with diatribes and blatant lectures kept to a minimum. Whereas SoF read like he'd spent all his time looking up articles and then tacked on a slipshod frame of wooden characters and plot over his bibliography at the last minute.
                          1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            Kyoto also wouldn't stop global warming.
                            Yet it would slow id down so that other measures could be put into place that would stop it....
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                            X