Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While this is a cool idea in general....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While this is a cool idea in general....

....I still have my doubts about the look they're trying to achieve:

The US military is developing a robot with a teddy bear-style head to help carry injured soldiers away from the battlefield.

The Battlefield Extraction Assist Robot (BEAR) can scoop up even the heaviest of casualties and transport them over long distances over rough terrain.

New Scientist magazine reports that the "friendly appearance" of the robot is designed to put the wounded at ease.
    Bolding by me of course.

Seems they learned nothing from that Ewok desaster.

full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6729745.stm
    Blah

Your robot looks friendlier.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I say give it a more realistic teddy bear head... that would be kewl
      Monkey!!!

Comment

If I am wounded in a place so hairy that they have to send a robot to get me, the thing better look like the damn Terminator with .50 cals.

Or at least let it wrap me in an armored shield so I am not quite so much sniper fodder as it lifts me six feet into the air and moves me through no mans land at 3mph.
        Last edited by Patroklos; June 7, 2007, 13:09.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

For some reason, I do not think that the robot would be able to survive a deathmach battle against this one.
          B♭3

Comment

I guess I know what happened to all the Battle Bots engineers... I miss that show
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Yeah, with shrapnel flying, I don't see why this is a good idea.

I guess it makes sense if the battle has moved on, but then why send a robot anyway?
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                I guess I know what happened to all the Battle Bots engineers... I miss that show
                Battlebots was a cool show.

Grant Imahara is working for Mythbusters. Every once in a while, he'll pull out his old battlebot to use for something.

Comment

They should make it look like C3PO.

Comment

Yeah, if I was lying on a battlefield, my guts spread out before me, and I saw a robot with the head of a teddy bear approaching, I'd scream like a banshee and blast it to pieces.

Comment

He walks around battlefields as slow and upright as he wanted and never get hit.

Unlike that ****er R2.
                      Last edited by Patroklos; June 7, 2007, 23:03.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

That guy in the photo isn't even trying to look injured. He's just laying back and thinking. "Yeah so what we have unlimited amounts of money in the military, we can do **** like this with a robot teddy bear to carry us around what are you gonna do about it?"
                        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

cool idea. they should be cuter tho

Comment

That guy in the photo doesn't look like a guy at all. More like a big doll.
                            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Will they need another robot to come and fetch this thing when it breaks down or gets shot?

Comment

Working...
                              X