Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the institution of the family fundamentally anti-feminine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    perhaps in capitalism the family is inherently anti-feminist

I don't think it is in general though

JM
    In capitalism (the theoretical kind, not the crony capitalism we have today, but it may apply there as well) the "traditional" family of men work, women stay home with the kids, would be a hinderance to economic success. Basically you potentially have an individual who may be able to contribute in more tangible ways to society, especially the economy if they were out in the working world. The kids can be taken care of by private day care (which adds to economic activity).

Capitalism really is very anti-traditionalist at its base and ultimately promotes the commodification of everything. Now whether that is a good or bad thing is subject to your own interpretation (I think it can be both).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

In most places, that supreme authority is the oldest non-senile male, but it also usually includes the entire bunch of old people.
      Funnily enough this is quite the opposite in our family, whose matriarch (my Grandmother) is or at least was the all knowing ruler, more or less. Ditto my mum at the moment. I don't particularly see that as an issue though.
      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

i don't think it's anti-feminine.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Oh really?

-Arrian
          Usually, men are perceived as more "authoritarian". It's much easier to make some man into an image of power than a woman (though it's possible, but difficult, due to the way society views both).

Comment

I disagree, aneeshm. If you started telling a kid at a young age "I'll tell your mother" in Ominous Tones of Doom, the kid would buy it. There is also the shame route.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Zevico

Funnily enough this is quite the opposite in our family, whose matriarch (my Grandmother) is or at least was the all knowing ruler, more or less. Ditto my mum at the moment. I don't particularly see that as an issue though.
              That's not really a problem. It doesn't matter who is the supreme authority, my point was only that IMO, it's easier to build up a male as one, in our society. As far as what Arrian said in the previous post goes, that may be true, I don't really know for sure.

Comment

Working...
              X