Let the good times roll: violent crime in the U.S. up 2 years in a row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the good times roll: violent crime in the U.S. up 2 years in a row

It's looking pretty bad, the streets are getting bad. Before I had the theory crime was going down because everyone was locked up. With 2 million people in jail, crime had to go down. Now it's increasing. Why?

They cite gang and street crime, especially by younger, more violent kids. Why are they so violent? Yup, you guessed it; computer game such as grand theft auto.

Seriously though, these game must have some impact. Sure it means nothing to us repsonsible folks who have impulse control. We can play all day long with no ill effects. But to people with a warped view of the world with little impulse control...

And of course they cite low police numbers. Do we have to turn this country into a police state to be safe? Are we going to have to have a cop on every street corner? The more cops you have, the more bad cops you are going to get. Which makes me trust them less.

And don't give me gun control. We have more gun control now than ever in our history. It isn't working. It will never work as long as the population has the desire to own guns.

92837 rapes a year! What's up with that? Why do men have the desire to rape women?

and Reno, Nevada with such a large increase? Even the small cities are turning into cesspools.

He said the emergence of deadly drug crews or street gangs can have a potentially profound impact on a city's homicide or gun assault rate.
    I'm sure some people will argue for legalization, but I doubt that will do much to curb violent crime.

Comment

I'm disatisfied with this. Murders in DC are up 18% this year with a new mayor and new police chief, after going down in each year of Mayor Williams' tenure.

Meanwhile, the city gets in national news for a woman high on crack plowing through a street festival with her car.
      Last edited by DanS; June 4, 2007, 16:08.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I need to see the numbers for my city, I think they are holding steady

Comment

Could they possibly get any higher
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

L.A. has the best police chief in the nation. Our numbers are going down.

Comment

They're running out of areas to loot.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Gonzo was busy lying to Congress last week claiming there was no decernable trend. Except, contrary to Gonzo, there is a trend and it is all bad. What's more it is a direct result of Bush's cuts in Federal assistance to local police forces and the ending of the Clinton era subsidies designed to let local communities hire more cops on the street. Bush had to show some progress on his record deficits so he slashed funds for cops instead of admitting his recless tax cuts for the wealthest was a bad idea.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's looking pretty bad, the streets are getting bad. Before I had the theory crime was going down because everyone was locked up. With 2 million people in jail, crime had to go down. Now it's increasing. Why?
                  Drug war, welfare state pathologies, government doing what it does best - screwing things up.

They cite gang and street crime, especially by younger, more violent kids. Why are they so violent? Yup, you guessed it; computer game such as grand theft auto.
                  During the mid 80s Reagan, Congress and most of the states cracked down on adult drug dealers - so they recruited more minors into the drug trade to avoid the penalties. Not surprisingly gang recruitment ballooned and juvenile crime rates skyrocketed and I dont think it has declined one year since even as adult crime rates fluctuate.

Seriously though, these game must have some impact. Sure it means nothing to us repsonsible folks who have impulse control. We can play all day long with no ill effects. But to people with a warped view of the world with little impulse control...
                  Warped people dont need outside stimuli to be warped, remove games and it'll be books or movies (or fill in the blank).

I'm sure some people will argue for legalization, but I doubt that will do much to curb violent crime.
                  Alcohol prohibition was repealed in '33 and homicide rates dropped 13 years in a row to half the level under prohibition. Guess what? Homicide rates began climbing in the late 60s and finally doubled under Reagan's drug war. The numbers dont lie...

And I just got a call from the Kansas Bureau of Narcotics asking for a "pledge". NYET!

They hate our freedom? We hate our freedom...

Comment

Sloww, exactly, and where do you think they got all those people that are in jail now anyway...
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

LTGTR
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                        Sloww, exactly, and where do you think they got all those people that are in jail now anyway...
                        I don't understand the question. In Los Angeles?
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Amurica
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Working...
                          X