Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We Built this city on rock n roll - crap or great? :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's don't overlook one thing, they were part of what built the city as it now exists. Sell out? That's a matter of interpretation.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Miracles is the most beautiful lyrical rock composition of all time.
      Save Your Love, Miracles, and Count On Me are my fav 3, White Rabbit comes in 4th

Comment

I guess I may have to check those songs out.

The funny thing is the only songs I really like by them were not written by jefferson airplane, but by Grace Slick. Somebody to love and white rabbit.

So I'm not even really sure I like JA.

Comment

Great song - awesome. One of the best ever

Asmodean
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Re: We Built this city on rock n roll - crap or great?

It's crap...

Originally posted by Doddler
            ...while getting my back burnt up on Woodhouse Moor...
            Doing what?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              crap.

But it's OK if I hear it only once every 5 years, I'm mega drunk and just singing along with every song I know. Then it's cool.

this about sums up my feelings on this track.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It's great crap.
                Blah

Comment

Re: Re: We Built this city on rock n roll - crap or great?

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  It's crap...

Doing what?
                  getting slightly sunburnt up on Woodhouse Moor (that's Hyde Park for the non-Loiners )
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                    The funny thing is the only songs I really like by them were not written by jefferson airplane, but by Grace Slick. Somebody to love and white rabbit.

Didn't we have a "worst songs" thread a few months ago??

The real shocker is that "We Built This City" was written by Bernie Taupin.

(\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Songfacts: You can leave comments about the song at the bottom of the page.
                      The DJ/Announcer in this is Les Garland, who was an executive at MTV at the time. After appearing on this song, he got China Kantner a gig on MTV, making her the youngest VJ they ever had. China is the daughter of Jefferson Starship members Grace Slick and Paul Kantner.
                      This was the first single released under the name Starship. They were previously known as Jefferson Starship, and before that, Jefferson Airplane. When original member Paul Kantner left the group, Jefferson Starship changed their name to Starship to further distance themselves from Jefferson Airplane. At this point, Grace Slick was the only original member. (thanks, chet - saratoga springs, NY)
                      Elton John's songwriting partner Bernie Taupin co-wrote this song. He gave the lyrics to Martin Page, who put the music to the words and made a demo. There were no takers. After Taupin consented to a change of chorus, producers Dennis Lambert and Peter Wolf took it to Starship, who made further revisions in the song and set it in San Francisco.
                      This was the first hit Bernie Taupin wrote without Elton John.
                      The original lyrics were a cry of rebellion against a corporation trying to ban rock and roll in an imaginary future. (thanks, Brad Wind - Miami, FL, for above 3)
                      Taupin and Page wrote another hit later the same year: "These Dreams" for Heart. Page also helped Go West write "King of Wishful Thinking," featured on the Pretty Woman soundtrack. (thanks, Eric - Salt Lake City, UT)
                      In 2004, Blender magazine named this the worst song of all time.
                      When this hit #1, Grace Slick was the oldest woman to sing the lead vocal (shared with Mickey Thomas) on a #1 single. The title had been previously held by Tina Turner for "What's Love Got To Do With It," and was later claimed by Cher for "Believe." (thanks, Paul - Detroit, MI)
                      The City in this song refers to San Francisco. Starship wrote it based on an incident in 1977 when the band (then Jefferson Airplane) was not allowed to play a free concert in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. (thanks, Mjn Seifer - England)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Marty Balin is one of my favorite vocalists, up there near Meatloaf and Paul Rodgers ??? of Bad Company.

trivia question: which member of JA got punched by Hells Angels serving as security at a concert?

Comment

This thread needs more Jeff Air variety

Embryonic Pillow
                          Martha
                          Crown of Creation
                          Lather
                          Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                          Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

When nobody's watching, I listen to Thin Lizzy - The boys are back in town....
                            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Crap
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                                Originally posted by Dis

Didn't we have a "worst songs" thread a few months ago??

The real shocker is that "We Built This City" was written by Bernie Taupin.

No, it's that it was recorded and released.

They should just have put out 'Somebody to Love' or 'White Rabbit' again.

June Tabor and the Oysterband do an interesting cover version of the latter.
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X