No announcement yet.

The insane toughness of Indian competitive exminations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks similar to the AP tests I took in high school. The only one that's a bit off is chemistry, these seem to ask more specific questions where the AP asked more conceptual ones, but I may be remembering that wrong since I took chem earlier than physics and calc. I do like the assertion-reasoning section, that's a type of question I didn't see much of when I was doing those sorts of tests. (Would be much better if it was open-ended rather than multiple guess, though.)
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

You have to start somewhere. But now that India is becoming wealthier, I would expect them to give quality higher educations to a larger portion of the population. You don't need to be a genius in order to contribute in most fields.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

DanS, Right, right, and as of now, they have to make compromises. If they had all the money in the world now, I'm sure everyone willing would get a good education. It's a start.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

That's tough? We give that to little kids over here.

Comment

OK, on a serious note. Indian elite really is elite, by world standards

But West has passed that stage when only the best got a shot at good education a long time ago. Over here everbody can get superb education for free if only he/she is ready to make the effort.

On the other hand, this isn't the West. In the West you pay through the nose. Here it's free.

Comment

India just doesn't have enough schools to educate everyone so most people don't get higher education. That's sad.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

My experience with the Indian's in graduate school (That come from the Indian education system) is that they are about the same as everyone else...

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Most of the Indians I've met in grad school have been extremely lazy.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The problem is that India lacks quality educational institutes, so the competition for the existing ones is absolutely mad.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                      The problem is that India...is absolutely mad.
                      Yes, that is a problem.
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I must admit I totally suck at those exams, even though I was pretty good in math and sciences when I graduated from school. Happens when you go into social sciences.

Comment

Some GCSE (yr 12), some A level (yr 14) and some of the tougher questions mixed in there (if you want to actually understand them and not just remember quotations from a book) are lower end university questions if it was to be set against UK tests.
                          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

JM, that's a good point. I've had some stereotypes myself about people and they turned out to be very different.

For example, I have experience working with Japanese people, and dude... it's always been a hassle, there's just lots of useless things done, useless thinking done and it seems to me it's all about bringing your food and putting one item at each table and then just doing things that aren't relevant. You know? I thought about efficiency and superior organizational skills and all this intelligence. Boy did that stereotype crumble fast. It's about individuals, so... there's no like vast front of people who are the stereotype I thought existed. One thing I also noticed, they all had horrible suits, that clearly weren't taken proper care of, and shoes seemed to be always some cheap ass sneakers. Really weird combinations. From a different world OK, but not the one I thought.

In school, we have Chinese, Indians, I mean we have people from all over. I can't recognize superiority. It's pretty much the same it seems like. I mean yeah it's good, but it's the same as everyone else. So... no prodigies seen. Smart folks, absolutely, but that's kind of to be expected. Super people? No.

The only difference I can see is cultural. Cheap suits seems to be the key with most of these people. Cheap suits that aren't taken cared of and horrible shoes, usually sneakers, like OBVIOUS sneakers, not some neutral ones you could pull it off with.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                            X