Would You Support Esperanto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ecthy
    Even the hebrew(?) words that they use are understandable, for they made it into everyday German language - Mischpoke would be a prime example, although I can't seem to think of any more now.
    (Schla-)Massel, Meschugge, Schmonzes, Ezzes, Tacheles, Schikse etc. etc.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Si, that too.

Comment

Esperanto is an awesome idea. But it has all the problems of organized solutions being enforced in this world....
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Commie.

Comment

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_deutscher_W%C3%B6rter_aus_dem_Hebr%C3%A4isch en

The Chaver -> Haberer one is interesting as "kaveri" is a colloquial word for "friend" in Finnish...

Edit: the link doesn't seem to work at all...

Comment

I voted for English since written Esperanto looks so stupid. I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak Esperanto.

Seriously, it would mostly be a waste of resources to introduce Esperanto, Latin or somesuch as a common language in the EU... It would be a lot easier to just found a lot of English language kindergartens & stuff like that and adopt English as the language of education in the EU countries, the transition would be over within 20 years...

Comment

I don't support any language barriers forced upon people. It is oppressive by nature.

I think there should be only ONE official language in a country, and everyone else can just learn it or not learn it, their choice. State should, of course, offer language courses.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me that some people "don't have to learn another language". What's with that statement anyway? I don't HAVE to learn other languages than my own either. I _choose_ to learn, because I think it is beneficial and I like being able to communicate with other people around the world. So if someone "doesn't have to learn" and chooses not to, I mean that's not our loss, now is it? Why should it bother you, that someone doesn't want to learn, period? It's their problem, not mine.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

At least lets reform english spelling, if the whole world is adopting this language.

is it alphabetic writing if you have to memorize how to write every word?, and if you cant tell the pronounciation of a word from the spelling? or how to write a word from the pronounciation?
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                    I don't support any language barriers forced upon people. It is oppressive by nature.

I think there should be only ONE official language in a country, and everyone else can just learn it or not learn it, their choice. State should, of course, offer language courses.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me that some people "don't have to learn another language". What's with that statement anyway? I don't HAVE to learn other languages than my own either. I _choose_ to learn, because I think it is beneficial and I like being able to communicate with other people around the world. So if someone "doesn't have to learn" and chooses not to, I mean that's not our loss, now is it? Why should it bother you, that someone doesn't want to learn, period? It's their problem, not mine.
                    You fail to understand. I don't have to learn another language. Because my first and only language is English
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

And the number of people you can communicate with is less than I can (Finnish, English, Swedish and soon Chinese).

So why the smilie? Are you proud of this fact?
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Soon you will be able to communicate with people in Chinese? Do you think the ability to communicate in another language is something you acquire for money?

Comment

Own up now. Which of you schmucks called the international language American?

Comment

I think we should all be forced to learn Serbo-Croat, just to make VetLegion happy.

Comment

Ecthy, Yes. But on top of that, I do have interest in Asian cultures, history as well as business. And I do value knowing a language. If it wasn't Chinese, I might choose some other language, even if there wasn't any other agendas behind it.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Just call 'English' 'Esperanto' and all will be well.
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X