Would You Support Esperanto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Support Esperanto?

English is a great language despite its numerous flaws. But I think it's unfair that the Brits and the Americans and denizens of other former British colonies don't have to learn a second language like the rest of us.

Would you support Esperanto as the replacement for English in international use?

Or if, say, EU had a vote or a referendum on adopting Esperanto as official language, what would you support?
    Yes! We need a well designed modern language for international use
    22.58%
    No, English is just fine
    51.61%
    No, AMERICAN is just fine
    22.58%
    What's Esperanto for banana?
    3.23%

Joke:

Ok, so theres this Esperanto convention. Scholars from all over the world are there.

Naturally, when they see each other, the greet each other in the international language they so comfortably share, "Nu, vas macht a Yid?"

Paraphrased from Envy, or Yiddish in America, by Cynthia Ozick.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Comment

That was almost funny, LOTM

Vet, just because it doesn't seem fair to you doesn't mean there's going to be any change. When will people get a grasp of reality and no longer make assumption concerning the fairness of issues? Get real!

Comment

Why not latin?

If kids start learning it at school at age 6, they will have mastered it reasonably well by the age of 18
          I need a foot massage

Comment

Hey, it's within our capabilities to adopt a neutral, well designed phonetic language with no exceptions or funny rules. Why not try? It doesn't have to be Esperanto, it can be something else for all I care. But the point is sticking it to the Brits and Americans

I bet that within couple of years of constant media bombardment everybody would know the new language.

And EU is just the organization to attempt something silly like this. Standardization of Europeans

Comment

Latin is cool with me. Didn't enjoy learning it much, but in retrospect its not half bad. Romans are not bad in general.

Comment

Esperanto is a great language...except for the accents over the s's and the c's to indicate they're followed by an "h." Why not just put the 'h'?

Comment

I like the idea of a new man made language, easy and completely regular.
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Because it's phonetic. One letter = one sound. It's very, very practical.

Comment

Volapük

Comment

And if anyone thinks it would be too hard to learn a laguage nobody speaks, remember that Israelis resurrected a language that had no living speakers within decades. It's easy.

Comment

People like Vet who believe that people can be forced into just everything

Comment

If we got them to standardize cucumbers sky is the limit.

Comment

Those would be BIG cumcumbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X