Save the Whales!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save the Whales!

New Zealand should send frigates, if necessary, to dissuade Japan from slaughtering humpback whales, the Green Party says.

Talks between New Zealand, Australia and Japan this morning, at the International Whaling Commission meeting in Anchorage, Alaska, aimed at stopping the planned killing of 50 humpback whales failed to reach any agreement.

“We have tried talking with Japan for several years now, but this has done nothing to stop the whale slaughter,” Co-Leader Jeanette Fitzsimons says.

“If anything, while we have continued to talk, Japan has increased the numbers of whales it kills in the name of science and this year plans to include 50 endangered humpback whales in the cull.

“These whales belong to the South Pacific and as such it is our responsibility to protect them. They travel from Antarctic waters along the coasts of New Zealand and Australia to the Pacific Islands, helping to create a multi-million whale watching industry along that route.

According to Whale Watch Kaikoura Chairman, Wally Stone, over 100,000 international visitors booked a whale watch experience in New Zealand in the past 12 months. This brought more than $25 million both directly and indirectly into New Zealand’s economy.

“Those tourists who come to see our whales, hail from all over the world, including Japan. They bring money into our economy, money which has helped to bolster small towns like Kaikoura,” Ms Fitzsimons says.

“If Japan continues with its plans to slaughter humpback whales, the Green Party will urge the New Zealand Government to deploy its frigates to protect these defenceless, endangered animals from a painful and needless death and to protect our economy from being speared by Japanese harpoons.”
    I the Green Party.

War with Japan?
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

No blood for whales!
      Blah

Comment

The Solution: Arm the Whales!
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Whales with guns ! .... not as catchy as cows
          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Japan vs NZ would not last very long
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

but New Zealand can ally with Godzilla

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

An enviromental issue I really do care about is whales. It is bad enough they are stupid enough to get run over by ships on accident, do we really have to go out of our way to intentionally kill them?

deploy its frigates
                Interesting to see a Green party talk about using military force...
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                  Interesting to see a Green party talk about using military force...
                  Not really. Greens see people as a serious problem.The logical extension of green politics would be a drastic de-population of people on the planet - except for people like themselves who live virtuous, low-footprint, eco-friendly lifestyles.

I know that sounds a bit drastic, and I'm not accusing any green-minded people here that they want this, but for some militant misanthropists a spot of genocide, mass-disease and starvation would possibly seem like a good thing.

Comment

I believe this article is very tongue-in-cheek.

The hypocrisy; of the Greens suggesting using military force.
                    The irony; the Greens opposed purchasing the frigates in the first place.
                    The absurdity; suggesting something which is clearly out of touch with (political) reality.
                    The punchline; said out-of-touch-with-reality group actually finding a plausible use for the NZ navy.

Comment

I am curious if Japan would use its navy to defend its whaling fleet. Does the Japanese public support whaling?

NZs Mekos are cool, but a Konga is would their asses.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Save the whales....

Collect the whole set.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know if I have room in my apartment for 50 stuffed humpbacks...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                            but New Zealand can ally with Godzilla

JM
                            Our national anthem is "God defend New Zeaeeeland" but I'm now always going to think of it as:

Godzilla defend New Zeaeeeland (and destroy Tokyo)

Thanks

Comment

save those snails

Comment

Working...
                              X