No announcement yet.

Let the Good Time Roll Yet Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, our economy is directly related to how willing the consumer is to go more into debt.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
      Well, our economy is directly related to how willing the consumer is to go more into debt.

JM
      I don' t think you understand what he was commenting on.

Countries that trade so much usually go through many of the same booms and busts.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

JM
        The standard quip was that when the US comes down with a cold Canada comes down with the flu. It happened in 1991, but not in 2001. What changed?
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I suspect high demand for raw materials out side the US made it unlikely that Canada would slip into recession even if the US bought less of their oil/wood/beef/grain/what not. Asia was able to make up the difference.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That was my first thought, but IIRC commodity prices were pretty low in 2001. The runup began in 2002/2003
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
              You got something against Midwesterners boy!?
              The Midwest is a good thing. It keeps people on the East Coast as far away from us as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                I find it very odd that the US economy has displayed more volatility than the the Canadian economy over the past decade or so. Usually you would assume that a small country dependent on exports and resource prices would be more volatile.
                The US is far more volatile than Europe also. My (somewhat speculative) explanation is that this is due to the relatively sluggish rate moves of the ECB. You may not accept that rate moves itself can be cause of volatility, but consider that a rigid ECB policy is pretty much a given because it tends to decide by consensus. Greenspans' policy has tended to be reactive rather than anticipatory. It also was asymmetric, lowering rates far quicker in the face of a downturn, than raising them in the face of an upturn. In any case, the explanation may lie with the US rather than Canada.
                Last edited by Colonâ„¢; June 21, 2007, 19:16.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                  It also was asymmetric, lowering rates far quicker in the face of a downturn, than raising them in the face of an upturn.
                  I think this sums it up, too.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: Re: Let the Good Time Roll Yet Again

Originally posted by DanS

The economy is only so-so. If you wish to keep us updated on the intricate details of a so-so economy, feel free. I'll probably even read it.
                    The economy is great if you are one of the Haves and/or Have-Mores. It sucks for everyone else.

Comment

Duh?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        Duh?

Comment

Woohoo! Now maybe my HELOC will go down!!

/me crosses fingers that Fed will overreact and cut the discount rate!!
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                          X