Scientific writing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientific writing

I don't have a problem writing scientific papers/articles in my native language, in fact I'm pretty damn good at it. However, I might want to do my thesis in English. I believe my contribution is pretty decent should everything work out well. Basically I'm writing a very cross disciplined thesis but unless I'm able to really do it well in English, I have to do it in Finnish.

I'm shooting for Laudatur, which is fairly rare at least in here (from our department, there aren't Laudaturs every year, so they're rare). But it means perfect writing. My English is better than I usually show here, but it's not THAT much better, you know what I mean? I struggle with the most simple things like prepositions. It's like the first thing they teach you, but I always have to stop and think. I regularly mix up in, on, at etc.

Those shouldn't be a problem because I have to look at every single sentence anyway. But the problem is the scientific style. My language skills are pretty much ordinary, as in blaablaablaa. SO!!! The point is, do you guys know any proof readers that are fairly cheap? My thesis will range anywhere from 90 pages to 120 pages, or so it seems at this point. I need a proof reader who is professional. I'm looking to make 0 mistakes, that is I would need as many revisions as it takes. How much can these things cost? Are there any specialities, like proof readers specializing in certain field? My "fields" would be mostly computer science, but it also includes some theoretical frameworks from other fields, such as social psychology, sociology and it takes a look into criminal psychology as well as some law stuff. On top of that, it has an empirical research, explanation of methods, reasons for them etc plus the test itself with the results.

Also I'm going to do some critical writing and respond to few articles and books, so I don't want to piss in my mouth by having poor writing style, you know? The points I'm making are not the problem, but I have to put it in words that are proper scientific writing in English. Otherwise I'm just pissing in my own mouth.

Also, the proof reading might include an NDA, since most likely it's not all going to be public information. So there will be two versions of my thesis, the full version includes everything (but still needs proof reading) as well as the public thesis, where some of the confidential stuff is discarded.

I'm willing to make an effort, a real push. This is what I do, this thesis is all about what I do. I need that Laudatur and I'm confident. But I can't fumble with the language and that's the biggest problem right now.

Any tips?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Write it like this one.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Write like WarNerd.
      Blah

Comment

LordShiva, that's pretty funny

So the biggest challenge is to find a style where... it seems to be neutral, as in you don't pay attention to the style. The style has to remain the same throughout the thesis and since I'm attacking and defending various sources in different fields... it's a challenge.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Arent you a computers guy?

Shouldnt the guy correcting you understand of the subject?
          I need a foot massage

Comment

I'm pretty sure you could find someone who does online publishing/editting that would suit your needs. Lord Shiva, that was a good read, did you write that? Did you get an A?
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Computers, yes. Should the guy undestand the subject? Yeah.
              In da butt.

Comment

You need a Comp Security (or whatever your field is) PhD to assist you with this. I tried to get assistance from my freinds, and they didn't help me to the level that my Advisor desired.

Actually, even a PhD couldn't assist me to perfection, I ended up needing a Professor to do it. And I guess that it what I would recommend to you, find a professor.

If not that, then a PhD in the field (should be able to get close).

JM
                (also is use to writing conversation english instead of scientific (physics) english)

(you could probably do with just Comp Sci, actually)
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

None is available at my department. So... no can do.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Well, I would still find a PhD in a related field. Online could work, I guess.

You just won't get good without it.

JM
                    (I don't know what you need for your award, but to be good you need the voice of expereince)
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I can help you edit and act like a thesaurus.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Why would he want to edit a thesaurus?
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I'm talking about proof reader for my language JM.

I have a "mentor" for the thesis itself, definitely, an assigned one. Well not really, since I dumped my assigned 'guide' and pitched my idea to this professor I get along with very well plus I did my bachelours for him as well. He said cool, let's do it. So that's not a problem.

The proof reading for English is.

Ok, my mentor in this has excellent English. But it is not his job to correct my mistakes all the time and make revisions based on grammar. He might do that, but it's not his job. More to the point, he might become annoyed with it. So .. just someone who is able to really evaluate the language and give me revisions, put a comment on all of my mistakes, includings commas, order of words, everything. It has to be perfect. I want Laudatur. I really want it and I feel I can really do it. That's why I take this seriously. Seriously enough to consider hiring someone to read it time and time after again, commenting on all of my mistakes. NOT the content itself, but the language and grammar.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Asher, I would trust your skills but I'm afraid you would either kill yourself or kill me after the... 94th revision just after 30 pages.

In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                              Asher, I would trust your skills but I'm afraid you would either kill yourself or kill me after the... 94th revision just after 30 pages.

I'd just tell you the first was fine and WTF are you doing.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X