Antarctica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antarctica

Scientific stations from various nations have been in operation there for well over 60 years. What are they studying, apart from the climate? And what have they been studying historically that was so damned important? Apart from only requiring so many people to carry out, climate observations can't have been the overarching concern back when the stations were set up. And one would think that most of it could have been automated by now.

Simply having a token presence on the continent for reasons of present or future territorial claims can't fully explain the multitude of permanent or semi-permanent settlements there.

Mapping and topological surveying should have been completed decades ago. Ice core retreival for historiographic purposes can only be performed so much before it will have to get utterly boring even to people who have decided to concern themselves with ice cores for a living.

The observation of penguin numbers, health and behaviour should be an all but exhausted subject by now.

So I'm wondering why are scientists flocking to the Antarctic of all places? You don't see them taking anywhere near a comparative interest in other similarly remote locations like the Arctic region, Sahara or the great oceans. Ever heard of a scientific surveying station on Tuvalu? Or Central Australia? At least they'd be able to get a nice tan there - and not having to cram together in smelly tents and aluminum shelters for months on end.

Even the Apollo astronauts didn't linger on as long as these guys do. There's obviously something going on down there that thery're not telling us.

Or is it simply because of the heavy rush hour traffic now going up and down Mt. Everest that they've decided, "Oh heck, let's go camp out in the second-most Godforsaken place anyone could think of"?

So tell us, what exactly are your plans for Hans Island?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Last I heard, it was to be a polar bear grooming-while-U-wait parlour staffed by Canadian migrant workers.

Comment

Leave our rock alone. Until you give up all silly claims, you are intruding Euro trash that need a lesson in Monroe.

And if you push it, we'll take Greenland off your hands to puncuate your folly.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Well the Greenlanders repelled the Vikings 1000 years ago; I'm sure it would take more than the threat of a few Mounties coming over to distract them from their daily business of shrimping-while-intoxicated.

Comment

Ermmmm.... they were the Vikings 1000 years ago.

This is today. Get out of our hemisphere, Euro trash!
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

And don't think we don't know what is going on. Oh no, we know.

Hans Island is the pointy end of the EU stick, trying to steal back North America one rock at a time. The French will never give up.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

there us a particle astrophysics site there known as Ice Cube

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Don't go off topic, Jon.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

I suppose penguins are very fascinating creatures.

Comment

Greenland is not in the EU (it left in 1985). So I assume this island isn't either. That does of course not mean that the French are not somehow involved .

Comment

Nazi's have a secret base there.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                          Nazi's have a secret base there.
                          No, Ned has his Fortress Of Solitude there.

The Nazis use it on a time-share basis, along with the non-British Illuminati and Freemasons.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

They're guarding the Predator v. Alien training ground. Hence the reason for all the concern re: global warming. If it gets warm the Aliens can get loose to destroy the world!!!!
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Too late- the Alien Queen is free, and ready to bite down!
                              Attached Files
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X