• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree

Comment

Re: LOTM : Question about a Rabbi

Originally posted by cronos_qc
      Hi LoTM.

Do you know Rabbi Jacob Neusner? If yes, what is your opinion about him?

Thanks!

1. Personally, no.

2. I have read his "Reading and Believing" plus at least one article by him. A while ago, though.

3. My general impression is of someone brilliant, but somewhat abrasive and controversial toward his colleagues. Im thinking of his discussions of the Mishnah and Talmud in historical context, and his critiques of using them as historical sources on non-religious questions. I vaguely recall hes involved with some conservative political grouping, but I dont follow that.

Was there anything more specific you had in mind?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: Re: LOTM : Question about a Rabbi

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Neusner was a faculty member at my university when I was an undergrad (he's since moved on, I believe). He never seemed to go anywhere on campus without an 5 or 6 Orthodox fanboys trailing in his wake. It was like "Entourage," if all the guys were bespectacled, spindly, gefilte-fish white geeks in yamulkes.
        You sure they were Orthodox? AFAIK, his position on the origin of the bible (the standard academic viewpoint, IIUC, his real speciality is early rabbinic texts, not the bible) would make him a raging heretic among the O. Perhaps they were Conservative Jews who wore kippot?

You were at Brown then? Thats where he was I recall. Dont know where he went to.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
          850? I's say he either has too much time on his hands or his books have too few pages.
          Actually "Reading and Believing" was pretty short, more of an extended article than a book. I think that his style, the relatively short, very pointed work of academic controversy, more than the deep scholarly tome. I mean Im sure he wrote enough of the latter to get established, but I dont think thats what hes so much known for.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: LOTM : Question about a Rabbi

Originally posted by lord of the mark

You sure they were Orthodox? AFAIK, his position on the origin of the bible (the standard academic viewpoint, IIUC, his real speciality is early rabbinic texts, not the bible) would make him a raging heretic among the O. Perhaps they were Conservative Jews who wore kippot?
            That's entirely possible. I was going by the semiotics of the yamulke.

You were at Brown then? Thats where he was I recall. Dont know where he went to.
            Yep.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
            X