Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Republicans are suppose to support less intrusive government??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any place were the majority of the "fine dining" consists mainly of Waffle House and Denny's isn't advanced. That knocks out large sections of the south.
    Lets survey how much Southern cuisine makes it to other parts of the country, and visa vera. I will take shimp and grits over cream of wheat and scrable any day.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: This is Your "Nobody," Drake ...

Originally posted by Gatekeeper

Leonard Pitts Jr. has also earned a Pulitzer Prize for writing columns — specifically, his column immediately after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks:

Hmm. Yes, he's certainly a "nobody," Drake, a "nobody" who's done more than you or I have when it comes to contributing to the public discourse on just about everything terrorism- and war-related since Sept. 11, 2001.

Gatekeeper

How would you like to eat your own words, Drake? Fried, boiled, baked?
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Hmm. Yes, he's certainly a "nobody," Drake, a "nobody" who's done more than you or I have when it comes to contributing to the public discourse on just about everything terrorism- and war-related since Sept. 11, 2001.

He's certainly done more than you. I, however, am not a journalist (thank god) and haven't even finished my education yet, so I'm not really surprised that some nobody who works for the Miami Herald has more accolades in journalism circles than I do. You're the one who should feel humbled, not I...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You know what, Drake? Sometimes, you're a g*d*mn fool.

Face it: You got schooled, ownzed or whatever the hell it one is called on the Internet when s/he is made a fool of. You called a respected, Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist a "nobody" when all you had to do was Google him to find out otherwise. It would have taken you 30 seconds, Drake, no more. But I guess that's too much work for a student such as yourself, isn't it?

Gatekeeper
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I am actually going to have to back up Drake on this. A lot of people thought that Pitts getting a Pulitzer's was stupid. He supposedly got it for being the black guy that wrote one of those types of columns after 911.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Pitts won the Pulitzer in 2004, more than two years after his 9/11 column. So that seems unlikely.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

It's still a lengthy nomination process.
                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Not that long; from selection of judges through nomination to announcement of awards, it's less than a year. That's why some Pulitzers in the Commentary field have gone to writing on topical issues.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

You know what, Drake? Sometimes, you're a g*d*mn fool.

Face it: You got schooled, ownzed or whatever the hell it one is called on the Internet when s/he is made a fool of. You called a respected, Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist a "nobody" when all you had to do was Google him to find out otherwise. It would have taken you 30 seconds, Drake, no more. But I guess that's too much work for a student such as yourself, isn't it?

Gatekeeper

So I was right to call him lazy for not Googling.

Comment

Re: This is Your "Nobody," Drake ...

Leonard Pitts Jr. has also earned a Pulitzer Prize for writing columns — specifically, his column immediately after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks:

Gatekeeper
                      I liked that speech better when it was given by the President in "Independence Day." Until such time as Leonard Pitts Jr. takes off in a fighter plane to attack Al-Qaeda, he's second-rate in my book.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Lets survey how much Southern cuisine makes it to other parts of the country, and visa vera. I will take shimp and grits over cream of wheat and scrable any day.
                        I don't know any where were cream of wheat is considered fine dining but I have been to several southern towns where going to Waffle House is considered a treat by the locals. It's sad.

There are some more cosmopolitan places in the south but most of it is so backwards and yokel it is no wonder it is ridiculed.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

I don't know any where were cream of wheat is considered fine dining but I have been to several southern towns where going to Waffle House is considered a treat by the locals. It's sad.

There are some more cosmopolitan places in the south but most of it is so backwards and yokel it is no wonder it is ridiculed.
                          This is so ridiculous it almost defies comment...but since it is you Oerdin and ya know I like ya man...

STUPID!

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                            I am actually going to have to back up Drake on this. A lot of people thought that Pitts getting a Pulitzer's was stupid. He supposedly got it for being the black guy that wrote one of those types of columns after 911.
                            I'd at least hope your backing of Drake comes with some degree of knowing who Pitts is and the subject material he covers. It's somewhat aggravating when folks who make blanket statements about someone else or a group do so w/o at least doing a bit of research before passing judgment.

Regarding the alleged reaction in some quarters to Pitts' Pulitzer Prize ... hmm ... well, all I can say is that it's a sad postscript to the polarized state of society. Pitts is a moderate in a world where moderates aren't much appreciated anymore.

And, hey, while we're talking about columnists, others I read include:

1. George Will
                            2. Joseph Galloway
                            3. Thomas Sowell

How 'bout you (generally speaking)?

Gatekeeper
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                              So I was right to call him lazy for not Googling.
                              Heh. What got my attention more than anything was the fact that the statement was made so arbitrarily.

If Drake had done some homework and still called Pitts a nobody, odds are I would've just shrugged, since it's just an opinion. But to call somebody a nobody arbitrarily ... well, let's just say it smacks of deliberate ignorance, and I despise *that* wherever it oozes from — right, left or between.

Gatekeeper

Comment

amen, Gatekeeper

Comment

Working...
                                X