The Breakfast Thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Breakfast Thieves

I've been watching an abnormal amount of children's cartoons lately, and I noticed something freaky during the commercial breaks. It's obvious, in retrospect, but it just now hit me: almost every breakfast product geared towards children is advertised with a character of some sort attempting to steal it. Think about it:

-Those kids are always after that leprechaun's Lucky Charms
    -The Trix Rabbit refuses to accept that Trix are for kids, tries to rob the children
    -Barney just will not stop taking Fred's Fruity Pebbles
    -You see him less often these days, but that wolf is still trying to steal Cookie Crisp
    -There's now an evil Mad Scientist bee stealing honey from the Honey Nut Cheerios bees
    -Most recently, there's that cartoon with the moronic man trying to steal his daughter's Eggo waffles

There are probably other examples I'm not thinking of, but I can't think of many ad campaigns based around characters who steal other types of product. There's the Hamburglar from McDonald's, but he hasn't been robble robble-ing for a couple of years now. Otherwise, nothing comes to mind. Is there something about breakfast foods that taps into our collective sense of anxiety? Do we all, on some level, fear the archetypal Breakfast Thief? Please make haste to answer, as this is a very important question. Maybe Ming can provide us with the reason why larceny and cereal go together so often.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

What's next?? Cereal killers?

Comment

Don't forget that French pirate trying to steal the kibble from the British admiral.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Captain Crunch
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

OMFG!!!!!!!!

Teh ThiEVes!!!!!!!!!!!
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Who's old enough to remember Quisp and Quake?

Comment

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Re: The Breakfast Thieves

Originally posted by Elok
                I've been watching an abnormal amount of children's cartoons lately, and I noticed something freaky during the commercial breaks. It's obvious, in retrospect, but it just now hit me: almost every breakfast product geared towards children is advertised with a character of some sort attempting to steal it. Think about it:

-Those kids are always after that leprechaun's Lucky Charms
                -The Trix Rabbit refuses to accept that Trix are for kids, tries to rob the children
                -Barney just will not stop taking Fred's Fruity Pebbles
                -You see him less often these days, but that wolf is still trying to steal Cookie Crisp
                -There's now an evil Mad Scientist bee stealing honey from the Honey Nut Cheerios bees
                -Most recently, there's that cartoon with the moronic man trying to steal his daughter's Eggo waffles

There are probably other examples I'm not thinking of, but I can't think of many ad campaigns based around characters who steal other types of product. There's the Hamburglar from McDonald's, but he hasn't been robble robble-ing for a couple of years now. Otherwise, nothing comes to mind. Is there something about breakfast foods that taps into our collective sense of anxiety? Do we all, on some level, fear the archetypal Breakfast Thief? Please make haste to answer, as this is a very important question. Maybe Ming can provide us with the reason why larceny and cereal go together so often.
                Very astute.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Well, it's like this. Kids are dogs. When they have somethign they don't want, go and take it away. They'll come and grab it. "IT'S MINE!!!!!! I don't care if I don't like it or if I didn't play with it in the last year, it's MINE and NOW IT IS PRECIOUS!!!".

Then, at store or wherever, the kids want that item. It's precious.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                  X