Video card question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card question

My PC crashed while playing civ (strangely enough). On reboot it flashed a message for 1 or 2 seconds that implicated the video card (X1300) and or catalyst drivers.

So I jumped through all the hoops uninstalling and reinstalling the ati crapware. I even bought a new HD backed up my files and did a clean install of XP media center. Nothing works!

The funny thing is that the VGA drivers seem OK. Not great, but OK.

After finally phoning Dell and having 'Brian' do the same things I'd already tried, he decided that the video card was defective.

So my first question to the knowledgeable is whether a defective video card will work with MS VGA drivers but not with the ATI drivers? It seems strange to me.

The second question is whether using my LCD TV as my monitor could have been a factor in the crash? I cant think of how it could, but stranger things......
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

The ATI drivers might use one of the parts of the card that broke. The MS VGA drivers are very basic, and deliberately so.

Comment

I suppose its a possibility that a non-critical portion of the card has gone kerfluey ( I just love technical jargon).
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

More than likely it overheated, and something burned out. Get another card
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Thats the good part. Dell have just replaced it and the ATI drivers seem to be working but I had to get back to the lab and havent tested whether everything else (like divx or the tv tuner) works now.

Comment

Working...
          X