• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14-year-old killed in Toronto school shooting

Student, 14, killed in Toronto school shooting
    toronto.ctv.ca

Updated: Wed. May. 23 2007 5:28 PM ET

A Toronto school shooting has claimed the life of a 14-year-old boy and forced a lockdown as police investigate the incident.

Police Chief Bill Blair confirmed the fatality to reporters while at the school hours after the incident occurred.

"The event that took place today is a very serious matter," Blair said. "A young student lost his life in this school, and it should be a safe environment for everyone."

The identity of the Grade 9 student is not yet known.

The young victim was reportedly hit once at 2:30 p.m. at C.W. Jefferys Collegiate Institute, at 340 Sentinel Rd., in the Finch Avenue and Keele Street area.

The teen was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital with serious injuries but doctors were unable to save him. The hospital has a trauma unit that often treats gunshot victims in the city.

The victim was shot while on the second floor of the school near a swimming pool, but it's unclear what type of weapon was used, CTV's Jim Junkin reported.

No arrests have been made and police have not released any information about possible suspects.

Police are guarding the school, but Sentinel Road has not been closed to traffic.

Former Toronto police officer John Muise, of the Centre for Abuse Awareness, said investigators will try to cordon off as much of the area as possible.

"You see the yellow tape around the biggest area possible, and that's done for a number of reasons," he told Newsnet.

"It's easy to make a crime scene smaller, but it's really difficult to make a crime scene bigger. So they cordon off as much of the area as they can. And the police recognize that, particularly with a shooting in a school, it can often be what we call a dynamic crime scene. So a suspect has entered the building, gone to a number of locations, potentially found a crime victim. There could be a blood trail, depending on the kind of firearm, and there could be shell casings left at the scene, and any variety of evidence.

"If you make that crime scene bigger, you have a better chance of controlling it. And in terms of holding the students, that's about safety. First and foremost, it allows the police to come in and go room by room, closet by closet and desk by desk, to make sure that the school is secure."

Anxious and nervous parents are waiting outside the school.

Blair said police are scouring the school for a suspect and are working to clear the area so students can be sent home.

About 850 students attend the school.
    Would have been prevented with concealed carry laws
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Misleading thread title.

Only one kid was killed.
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I was trying to be sensational.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I blame Canadian culture, video games, movies, aneeshm, gun control, lack of gun control, asians, the liberal media, and fatty foods.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That's in the middle of our worst gang area. If it was going to happen, it couldn't happen in a more likely place. Still sucks, though.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

It's obviously due to the ease of acquiring guns in the less civilized lands south of the border
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
              I was trying to be sensational.

Seriously, boo.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Could a mod please change the thread title? It's an out and out lie right now, and made me 14 times sadder than it had to.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  Could a mod please change the thread title? It's an out and out lie right now, and made me 14 times sadder than it had to.
                  Yeah

Comment

Toronto.
                    Texans.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      Thread title changed.
                      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

DanQ is back

Comment

in da' house!
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                          X