Credit card complaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit card complaint

I have a credit card that gives me 1% cashback on all purchases. I pay my purchases off every month and so pay no interest. It was turning into a right little earner for me, especially as I pay for things for other people on my card and then they give me cash(reclaimable business expenses is a personal favourite).

Now the card issuer has introduced a £20 annual fee. Not as standard, just on my account (and presumably on others who are quite unprofitable).

So, can I complain? Am I being victimised? I presume it's legal as other card companies have previously introduced charges on those people who do not use their cards regularly enough.

It all feels a bit hollow for me to complain when I am still making money out of them, only in future it will £20 a year less than before.

I might just have to swap to a better deal elsewhere.
    Complain, it's the American way!
    87.50%
    Don't be so greedy, you are still making more than enough
    0.00%
    Do what they want, cut the card and go elsewhere
    12.50%
    Get a credit card that gives you banana points
    0.00%
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

You can still find other cards that will give you the cash back and not require a monthly fee. Just change and close down you old account. They still make money on each transaction you make, so screw them for being greedy and wanting an additional 20 pounds a year.
    Let them know why you are closing the account... It won't help you, but it might help somebody else in the future.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'll bet that if you call Customer service and complain, they'll waive the fee for the first year, which should give you time for an orderly switch over.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What Rah said. You'll probably need to get to a manager, who will have the discretionary ability to waive the fee.

Show no loyalty. They count on that, and deserve none.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Screw the bastards. They won't hesitate to do the same to you.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

^^^^ What they said ^^^^

Comment

If anyone knows of a good deal, please let me know.

I get about £60 cashback a year, so the new rate of £40 is effectively 0.66%. Still better than the best of the rest offers I am seeing of 0.5% at the moment.

Comment

What is a "cashback"?

Comment

I've never paid an annual fee on a credit card. Every time they charge it, I call and ask them to waive it. Nobody has refused yet.

Maybe they would refuse with a cash back card, but it's worth a try.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                    What is a "cashback"?
                    Instead of air miles, or reward points or other money off offers, I get a cheque every year equal to 1% of the value of all my purchases in the year.

Comment

My wife's CC company did it the other way 'round:

They changed the terms such that 1% back is the maximum you can get, depending on exactly how much you spend. So the real return ends up being somewhere between .5% and 1%.

So, once we're past this whole moving thing, we should go hunting for a better deal.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                      X