The Cutty Sark appears to have gone up in flames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cutty Sark appears to have gone up in flames

Should have made it out of metal, the dum-dums.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

I'll bring the marshmallows and you bring the sticks.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

At least the masts and figurehead were away for restoration.

Comment

Whoever set fire to the Cutty Sark could actually face the death penalty I hope they carry it out.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Loved her story since I was a kid.
          Blah

Comment

A shame a piece of surviving history has suffered this fate.

I read where they were saying some of the ship may be salvagable, but then again, just how much should be replaced before it moves from a restoration project (which was what the Cutty Sark was experiencing) and a complete overhaul and upgraded status.

Gramps
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

U.S.S. Constitution strikes another blow to those devious Redcoats!
              Last edited by Perfection; May 21, 2007, 12:13.
              APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Bah, frigate vs. tea clipper.

Piracy
                Blah

Comment

IIRC, the Cutty Sark was the fastest ship of her day. (Am I right on that?)

I saw pictures of what's left of her. Spokesmen are saying it's not a bad as it looks. But to me, it looks like she's been burnt down to the waterline.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    IIRC, the Cutty Sark was the fastest ship of her day. (Am I right on that?)
                    Afaik yes, at least under sails (no idea if some faster steamers were around back then). Some quite dramatic races against another clipper ("Thermopylae") are what made her famous.
                    Blah

Comment

From the Evening Standard

Fears grew today that the blaze which ripped through the historic Cutty Sark was started deliberately.

Investigators are examining CCTV footage which shows people near the 19th century tea clipper moments before the fire broke out.

Scores of firefighters battled to save the ship today as 100-foot-high flames engulfed the hull in its dry dock in Greenwich.

Yet despite the damage, members of the Cutty Sark Trust announced that the vessel could be rescued.

Board member Chris Livett said: "She did not fall apart, she did not break her back. After a quick assessment it seems the Cutty Sark can be saved."
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

that pic looks a lot less bad than the ones I saw earlier.

Comment

Something else I may never see.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            that pic looks a lot less bad than the ones I saw earlier.
                            I saw some other pictures that indeed did seem worse.
                            Here, the basic hull remains.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Man, i can remember visiting the ship while i was on vacation in London. Marvellous ship from up close.

A sad day for British cultural heritage.
                              Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
                              X