question for physicists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for physicists

Is there any evidence that real physical processes are/aren't limited to computable numbers? For example, could the probability associated with some quantum state be non-computable?

question for kuciwalker : is virginia awesome?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I seem to recall some things involving strong interaction possibly fitting your ideas, but I can't remember where I got it from and don't have any sigificant education in QCD so I couldn't tell you anything more then just a place to look.
        APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

That's a strange question Kuciwalker. Do you mean uncomputable as in an equation describing something having irrational (non-computable) numbers in it like sqrt(2)? Or do you mean non-determinable by observers?

Comment

To clarify (I certainly don't know the answer to the question): are you essentially asking whether all of the mathematical formalism of physics could be done over some natural small (countable) subfield of the real numbers?

Comment

No, I think he means an uncomputable number like Chaitin's Constants
              APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Re: question for physicists

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                Is there any evidence that real physical processes are/aren't limited to computable numbers? For example, could the probability associated with some quantum state be non-computable?
                It's possible. In QFT processes where the coupling constant is of order one (for instance, in QCD interactions in some range of temperatures) the normal perturbation expansion cannot give an estimate of increasing accuracy.

However, it is possible that other methods of computation can give the desired answer in finite time. Lattice QCD is but one of the "non-perturbative" calculation methods. It is possible (but not certain) that all quantities not currently computable may be determined through clever methodologies.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

By the way, reading the Wikipedia entry on computable numbers, it seems as though somebody is slightly confused. Technically speaking, all real numbers are computable by the existence of the decimal expansion.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Eh. We learned the definition as: there exists a program that prints out the digits of the number in sequence, and for a given digit (by a finite index) it prints out that digit in a finite amount of time.

Comment

Re: Re: question for physicists

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      In QFT processes...
                      QFT now has processes? awesome.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Re: Re: question for physicists

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        It's possible. In QFT processes where the coupling constant is of order one (for instance, in QCD interactions in some range of temperatures) the normal perturbation expansion cannot give an estimate of increasing accuracy.

However, it is possible that other methods of computation can give the desired answer in finite time. Lattice QCD is but one of the "non-perturbative" calculation methods. It is possible (but not certain) that all quantities not currently computable may be determined through clever methodologies.
                        The issue is that if physics includes non-computable numbers, that violates the Church-Turing thesis (the computational power of the universe is equivalent to the computation power of a Turing machine, which is a theoretical model of a computer). If that's false, we can harness these non-computable numbers to pretty dramatically increase the computational power of real computers.

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000
                          To clarify (I certainly don't know the answer to the question): are you essentially asking whether all of the mathematical formalism of physics could be done over some natural small (countable) subfield of the real numbers?
                          I'm wondering if there exists a complete mathematical formalism of physics that doesn't use non-computable numbers (a countable subset of the reals).

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            Eh. We learned the definition as: there exists a program that prints out the digits of the number in sequence, and for a given digit (by a finite index) it prints out that digit in a finite amount of time.
                            The problem is that the definition should not be in terms of "numbers" (since there exists a definition which prints out the nth digit of ANY number in finite time). The definition should be in terms of DEFINITIONS. The space of definitions is far larger than the space of numbers, since there exist an uncountable number of definitions for every number, some of which may be uncomputable and some of which may be computable.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                              That's a strange question Kuciwalker. Do you mean uncomputable as in an equation describing something having irrational (non-computable) numbers in it like sqrt(2)? Or do you mean non-determinable by observers?
                              Many irrational numbers are computable, though all non-computable numbers are irrational. Computable numbers are those that can be generated by a computer program (which is a finite sequence of symbols). Thus in some sense they are the numbers which can be "compressed" to some finite representation, and whose value can be taken from that represenation.

There are actually infinitely more non-computable numbers than computable numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X