• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCain joins F-bomb Club

McCain's meltdown
    May 19, 2007 - 7:22am.

* News

Arizona Senator and Presidental candidate cusses out colleague

Arizona Senator and Presidential candidate John McCain, whose chances to ever live in the White House are melting down faster than the polar icecaps, lost his cool in the Senate chambers this week.

McCain's been so busy running for President that he hasn't had much time to be a Senator but flew into town for a rare appearance to attend a meeting on the immigration bill and deal.

Reports Paul Kane of The Washington Post:

During a meeting Thursday on immigration legislation, McCain and Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) got into a shouting match when Cornyn started voicing concerns about the number of judicial appeals that illegal immigrants could receive, according to multiple sources -- both Democrats and Republicans -- who heard firsthand accounts of the exchange from lawmakers who were in the room.

At a bipartisan gathering in an ornate meeting room just off the Senate floor, McCain complained that Cornyn was raising petty objections to a compromise plan being worked out between Senate Republicans and Democrats and the White House. He used a curse word associated with chickens and accused Cornyn of raising the issue just to torpedo a deal.

Things got really heated when Cornyn accused McCain of being too busy campaigning for president to take part in the negotiations, which have gone on for months behind closed doors. "Wait a second here," Cornyn said to McCain. "I've been sitting in here for all of these negotiations and you just parachute in here on the last day. You're out of line."

McCain, a former Navy pilot, then used language more accustomed to sailors (not to mention the current vice president, who made news a few years back after a verbal encounter with Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont).

"**** you! I know more about this than anyone else in the room," shouted McCain at Cornyn. McCain helped craft a bill in 2006 that passed the Senate but couldn't be compromised with a House bill that was much tougher on illegal immigrants.

Those who know McCain the best say his always volatile temper is getting worse as his Presidential prospects fade. The outburst this week is just the latest example.
    It's sad to see these old guys' minds fading, to the point where they feel it's appropriate for them to act like this.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Yes. I mean, you hardly hear anyone use such language these days.

Comment

Well, I hope that this doesn't hurt Arizona Senator and Presidential candidate John McCain in the primaries. However, we all saw what happened to Howard Dean after his outburst in 2004.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well, I don't think it's something outrageous either, but "anyone" isn't running for presidency....
        Blah

Comment

I like the part about a curse word associated with chickens. It made me smile.
          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

He just got my vote!

(unless he apologizes)
            APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

fock!!
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Actually, saying "**** you" to Cornyn puts McCain doesn't hurt him a bit in my book.

Now that the Dems have Congress, and considering their primary candidates, I'm leaning more toward McCain or somebody like Fred Thompson (especially with Dobson's endorsement ).
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

To me it really makes him look better, frankly. I realize some prisses may get their panties in a knot about it, but it isn't like you never hear the word... well, unless you are sequestered at a Bible Camp or something.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I never really understood what Dean did to upset people.

I really just don't like McCain personally, as much as a try.
                    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

He used a curse word associated with chickens

"Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

F-bomb club

Comment

far be it from me to encourage cursing, but it should be noted that this

"I know more about this than anyone else in the room," shouted McCain"

is probably true.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

This doesn't bother me. The "compromise" on torture... THAT bothered me. Not this.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                            X