Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift of 10bn USD to charity/education

...from Dubai ruler.

The ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, says he is giving $10bn (£5bn) to set up an educational foundation in the Middle East.

The money is meant to improve the standard of education and research in the region, and aims to stimulate job creation, Sheikh Mohammed said.

It is thought to be one of the largest charitable donations in history.

The announcement was made to widespread applause at the World Economic Forum, which is being held in Jordan.

Sheikh Mohammed, known as a successful racehorse owner as well as ruler of Dubai, said his personal initiative was aimed at creating what he called "a knowledge-based society" in the Middle East.

At the moment, he explained, there was high illiteracy in the region - where more than 40% of Arab women cannot read or write.

The whole Arab world publishes fewer books than the country of Turkey.

And spending on scientific research is only a tiny fraction of that in developed countries.

"There is a wide knowledge gap between us and the developed world in the West and in Asia. Our only choice is to bridge this gap as quickly as possible, because our age is defined by knowledge," the sheikh said.

While there may be less learning in the region, there is high unemployment, and it is likely to get higher with a rapidly growing population.

"Our region needs at this moment 15 million job opportunities, and our Arab world will need in the next 20 years between 74 to 85 million job opportunities," the sheikh told the conference.

"We need to develop the infrastructure so we can create jobs."

Sheikh Mohammed hopes to increase education and research, and also to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship throughout the region.

"In order to realise these objectives, I have decided to establish the Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum Foundation to focus on human development, and have I decided to endow a fund of $10bn to finance its projects," he said.

As ruler of Dubai, he can share the success of his principality, which is known the world over as the economic success story of the Middle East.
    But what really surprised me was this line:

"The whole Arab world publishes fewer books than the country of Turkey."

Not to masturbate about teh evil muslims, but that's a huge difference
    Blah

Impressive amount and great news.

I'm watching Dubai with interest. Great stuff being built there.

Comment

Re: Gift of 10bn USD to charity/education

Originally posted by BeBro

"The whole Arab world publishes fewer books than the country of Turkey."

Not to masturbate about teh evil muslims, but that's a huge difference
      You don't have to - can't read -> can't write -> no need / demand for books.

Though, he should probably start looking out for bombs from people that think education is a bad thing.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Burj Dubai.

I always thought it's one of those crazy plans, until I discovered that the building is already half built.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

That's a great investment.

Dubia is a weird space country anyway, they are really building stuff.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Burj Dubai.

Comment

Great news indeed. Education is the best long term weapon against religious fundamentalism - with expanded knowledge comes wider perspective and the ability to question one's own first principles.

That sort of money will go a long way towards actually improving things in the region.
              Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

This is good news but a drop in the bucket of what is needed. What is truly needed is for state governments to actually start spending money on education and development instead of on the military and pet projects of dubious value. That will be a hard sell when the military dictatorship knows they live or die by the military. $10 billion is a lot but to compare by law the state of California must spend 50% of gross revenues on education which last year amounted to $50.5 billion dollars spread out over a population of just 32 million. That includes all levels of education from pre-school through the highest university research along with money to build and maintain campuses. I'd wager there is a lot more then 32 million people in the Arab world but that they spend less combined on education.

Sadly, Iraq was considered a fairly advanced Arab country in the 1970's and 80's yet still 40% of the population couldn't read or write. They're going to need a massive cultural change in how they treat women and what they value as a society. Saudi Arabia produces a lot of college graduates but almost half of them take religious studies to become an Imam which is a completely economically useless field which will not help create jobs nor will create long term positive development trends. These are privative societies mainly because of their social values (against women and focused on religion instead of economically useful studies) so until those values change we will not see a sea change occur.

It is nice to see one westernized rule attempting to change things though.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

BTW I've used that statistic about fewer books being published in the entire Arab world then in Turkey before in a thread here at poly. I got it from an article in Time Magazine.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If I made this kind of money, I'd consider giving it all to education as a testimony as well. Perhaps set up my own department, or at least have it carry my name with all the funding in the world. Man that would be an awesome legacy to leave, wouldn't it? You'd grant scholarships and stuff.. with that kind of money, you could leave a big mark and have many people go for higher goals in their life. Truly awesome.

I figure my kids would be happy with say, 100 million. THe rest is given away.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

To hell with illiterate kids, THIS GUY IS PLAYING SIM CITY LIVE!

(I'd also get some tanks, divide them into blue team and red team and have them fight it out in the desert while I watch from the top of that tower. It would be awsome.)

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

(I'd also get some tanks, divide them into blue team and red team and have them fight it out in the desert while I watch from the top of that tower. It would be awsome.)
                        He is playing on Easy level with the money cheat though

My GF's dad is doing what Pekka describes, although on a far, far smaller scale ... both contributing to the schools in his small town and setting up a (as permanent as is legal) trust for his x-generations progeny to pay only for education. He's not exactly a multimillionaire; but imagine if everyone at 75 did this (contributed most of their remaining funds to education). Given that children by the time you're 75 are typically 50 or so and have plenty of their own money, inheritance isn't as relevant as it used to be ... and if you're the kid of a megamillionaire you probably have piles of cash yourself just from the advantages you got in life, even if you weren't handed any yourself (Maybe not huge piles, but comfortable living at least).

I intend to do the same, if I ever make piles of money. Half to my kids' education and half to the schools in whatever area I consider home [or, if I continue to call Chicago home, probably my hometown in New Mexico ... I doubt i'll make enough to make a meaningful contribution to the Chicago public school system ] Education is the great equalizer, along with access to information (which necessitates education); and education is not necessarily just equal but thorough as well. Equal education can be equally lousy just as much as it can be equally good... I intend to do all I can to make it more on the good side
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

QFT

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Burj Dubai.

Montreal!
                              USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                              The video may avatar is from

Comment

Working...
                              X