• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Ontario

I'll post it for you Asher.

10 extra MPs not enough for Ontario, minister says
    Last Updated: Friday, May 18, 2007 | 11:24 AM ET
    CBC News
    Ontario says the province is being shortchanged under proposed federal legislation to give Canada's three fastest-growing provinces more seats in the House of Commons.

'It's just basically a matter of fairness. British Columbia and Alberta will be having representation by population. Ontario won't.'
    —MPP Marie BountrogianniThe bill, introduced last Friday by the federal Conservatives, aims to restore representation by population with the addition of 22 seats by 2014 — 10 for Ontario, seven for British Columbia and five for Alberta.

Under the bill, Ontario will have 116 seats, or 35 per cent of those in the Commons, compared to its current 106 seats and 34 per cent.

But Ontario Minister for Democratic Renewal Marie Bountrogianni says, based on her ministry's calculations, the country's most populous province is entitled to two to five federal seats on top of the proposed 10.

"It's just basically a matter of fairness," she said Thursday. "British Columbia and Alberta will be having representation by population. Ontario won't."

The proposed legislation is intended to give other provinces the same level of proportional representation enjoyed by Quebec. The country's large provinces have such high populations their MPs represent, on average, 21,000 more constituents than those from provinces with low populations.

Continue Article

Peter Van Loan, the federal minister for democratic reform, admitted last Friday that the bill would move B.C. and Alberta closer to a level playing field, but Ontario will still be "modestly under-represented."

He said Thursday he doesn't see a problem with the seats allotted to Ontario. "Ontario is going to do much better under Bill C-56 than under the current legislation."

Bountrogianni has written to Ottawa asking for clarification of the complicated formula used by the federal government to arrive at its decision.

She says if her ministry's calculations are correct and the federal government fails to fix the formula, Ontario will oppose the legislation.

The House of Commons currently has 308 seats and its seating formula hasn't changed since 1985.
    Ontario doesn't need any more seats. They would end up being Toronto seats anyway.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Re: Poor Ontario

Originally posted by Wezil
    I'll post it for you Asher.

Ontario doesn't need any more seats. They would end up being Toronto seats anyway.
    Toronto's growing. If Northern Ontario wants a higher proportion of Ontario's seats, get people to move up north.

If the rest of Canada doesn't want Ontario to get a fair representation in Parliament, maybe the other provinces (save Alberta) can start paying their way in Confederation.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Re: Re: Poor Ontario

Originally posted by Starchild

If the rest of Canada doesn't want Ontario to get a fair representation in Parliament, maybe the other provinces (save Alberta) can start paying their way in Confederation.
      Bite your tongue. How unCanadian!
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

"No taxation without representation!!"

Comment

I'll personally shoot the first ******* who throws tea overboard!!

Comment

Re: Re: Poor Ontario

Originally posted by Starchild
            Alberta pays way more per capita towards the confederation.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Poor Ontario

Originally posted by Wezil

Bite your tongue. How unCanadian!
              I'm a Brit who lived in Canada. I considered myself a Torontonian long before I realised how Canadian I had become.
              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
              X