U.S. names Muslim as U.N. ambassador

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. names Muslim as U.N. ambassador

I saw Khalizad interviewed on T.V. this morning. He struck me as an intelligent, straight shooter the most impressive person in the Bush administration since Colin Powell left.

ABC News has learned that President Bush will nominate Zalmay Khalilzad to be the new U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. Khalilzad is currently the U.S. ambassador to Iraq. The announcement may come as soon as tomorrow. Khalilzad's departure from Baghdad will happen as soon as he is confirmed as U.N. ambassador.

Ryan Crocker, currently the U.S. ambassador to Pakistan, will be nominated to replace Khalilzad in Baghdad. Khalilzad has been U.S. ambassador to Iraq since June 2005. He is the highest ranking Muslim in the U.S. government and one of the few officials at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad fluent in Arabic.

A consummate dealmaker, Khalilzad played an active role trying to push the Iraqi government toward political reconciliation. Khalilzad's efforts aliented some in the Shia-dominated Iraqi government who complained that Khalilzad was biased in favor of Iraq's Sunnis. Khalilzad is a Sunni Muslim. Before becoming U.S. ambassador to Iraq, Khalilzad served as U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan. Prior to that, he served as a Special Presidential Envoy and Ambassador at Large for the Free Iraqis.

Khalilzad has a bachelor's and a master's degree from the American University of Beirut, Lebanon, and a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago.

Didn't lotm start a thread like this a while ago?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Yes, he did.

Comment

He is the highest ranking Muslim in the U.S. government and one of the few officials at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad fluent in Arabic.

But to be fair, I assume it's not specific to the US.
        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
          Yes, he did.
          Hmm, must have been while I was on vacation.

Comment

Praise Allah!

Blah

Comment

Both Khalilzad and Negroponte sure are punching their tickets at a furious clip...
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

At the risk of going over old ground, I'd just say that it would be hard to find a more central and consistent individual to the forming and execution of US foreign policy over the last 20+ years than Khalilzad. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of personal judgement.

Comment

At the risk of going over old ground, I'd just say that it would be hard to find a more central and consistent individual to the forming and execution of US foreign policy over the last 20+ years than Khalilzad. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of personal judgement.
                  That's a good thing.
                  A diplomats most critical tool is credibilty. It just the few minutes I watch Khalizad, he won my trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

That's a good thing.
                    A diplomats most critical tool is credibilty. It just the few minutes I watch Khalizad, he won my trust.
                    No, no, please dont start this with CH again.

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

It's OK, LotM, I've no plans to go into this again.

Comment

It's OK, LotM, I've no plans to go into this again.
                        and yes, I still do promise to learn more about Balkan history, but Im having too much fun reading American history.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                        X