No announcement yet.

Teh Funny Place Names Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, there's a place not far from here, named "Hyypiö", translates as "Creep", as in creepy person.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Dildo, Newfoundland
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

One eyed Deer (Venado Tuerto)
        I need a foot massage

Comment

Cornwall has some beauties:

Polyphant

Come to Good

London Apprentice

Indian Queens

Angrouse

Dawns Men

Dor Catcher

Goonbell

Gweek

Mousehole

Praze-an-Beeble

Limbsworthy
          Attached Files
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

German speakers only:

Todmorden (UK, in the Pennines between Bradford and Preston), means "murdering death".

As a test of the foreign language capabilities of the autocensor:

Geilenkirchen (NATO airbase northeast of Aachen)
            Fickmühlen (east of Bremerhaven)
            Tuntenhausen (southeast of Munich)

Some other nice names:
            Attaching (near Freising near Munich),
            Poing (east of Munich), which is French for fist
            Fischenich (south of Cologne) which can be understood as "No fishing" in German

And of course Bielefeld as the most elaborate project to fake a city.
            Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Arsoli, Italy
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

There's a city called Ogre here in Latvia. Became funny after I played some English RPGs
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Did they name it after you?
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

No, Smoke Rise is named after me
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                      Dildo, Newfoundland
                      Heh, just saw this somewhere else...

I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

The arrow is pointing towards you.

Comment

AFAIK this is the city with the longest name in the world

This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                            AFAIK this is the city with the longest name in the world
                            Not by a long stretch. The city known to us as Bangkok has the longest name in the world (as recognised by the Guinness Book of Records). Its real name in Thai is:

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

(Meaning: The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukam)

I wonder if the Thai ever heard of the saying "Brevity is the soul of wit"
                            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

The city of angels

LA
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

In Belgium, we have the wonderfull town of Silly

There is a Silly police, Silly churches, Silly streets, Silly people ... and of course, there is Silly beer:

The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                                X