• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House backs ban on F-14 parts for Iran

By SHARON THEIMER, Associated Press Writer
    26 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The House took steps Thursday to make it harder for
    Iran to acquire parts for its aging F-14 fighter jets, voting to ban the
    Pentagon from selling leftover spares from its retired Tomcat fleet to anyone but museums.

Originally a separate measure called the "Stop Arming Iran Act," the ban was added to a $646 billion bill to fund the military in the budget year that starts Oct. 1. The House approved the legislation Thursday. A Senate vote is still needed.

The proposed ban comes as the Defense Department continues a voluntary review of F-14 parts to determine whether it could sell any on the surplus market without jeopardizing national security. Iran is the only country known to be trying to keep F-14s flyable.

The F-14 legislation's lead sponsors — Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (news, bio, voting record), D-Ariz., and Sen. Ron Wyden (news, bio, voting record), D-Ore. — contend that broad restrictions on the parts sales are needed to help prevent sensitive components from accidentally slipping into Pentagon surplus auctions and from there, into Iran's hands. The legislation would allow only U.S. museums and historical groups to buy Tomcat parts, and would prohibit the granting of export licenses for any F-14 components.

"I believe that the process needs to be tightened up and now that I've really been made much more aware of the problems that can arise, I plan to be more vigilant on future problems," said Giffords, whose district includes Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson, where many retired F-14s are stored. The Stop Arming Iran Act was the first bill introduced by the first-term congresswoman, a member of the House Armed Services Committee.

Giffords and Wyden sponsored the legislation after The Associated Press reported in January that buyers for Iran, China and other countries exploited gaps in Pentagon surplus-sale security to acquire sensitive military equipment including parts for F-14s, other aircraft and missiles. In at least one case, a surplus purchase made it to Iran, law enforcement officials say.

Should the defense funding bill fail to become law, Giffords plans to pursue the F-14 parts measure in its original form as separate legislation.

The United States let Iran buy F-14s in the 1970s when the countries were on good terms. The U.S. military retired its Tomcats last year.

The Pentagon originally planned to destroy components unique to the F-14 but sell thousands of others that could be used on multiple types of aircraft. After the AP's report, it temporarily stopped the sales and began a full security review of the jet parts.

Giffords said that any F-14s that went to historical groups would have to be demilitarized — made useless for military purposes — but that it was important to preserve examples of the jet for former F-14 pilots, military historians and future engineers to see. She noted that her fiance's brother flew the Tomcat.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I think I'm missing the humor.

Comment

Ok. Let's imagine that Iran wants to buy waffles without divots. They could make their own pancakes, but they insist on sustaining divotless waffles.

Is that better?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You can't go wrong with a Democrat named Gabrielle in charge of military security.

Comment

Didn't read the whole article, but does this mean, that Iran has some old F14s and they can't basically maintain them unless someone sells them spare parts, which is looking unlikely right now?

It would be funny if this was all the Iranian airforce has, they'd be majorly ****ed. I guess they are anyway, if they still use F14s... Imagine if we were able to come to an agreement, where no western nation would sell advanced weaponry to Iran? That would be enough to sustain some of the hot air IMO. I mean what are you going to do? Granted, a nuke, but land warfare, you stand no chance defending, if that's your airforce....

Their airforce couldn't make a battle for the air superiority now, what they could do and would try to do is take temporary superiority over some regions, so they can strike the land forces every now and then. But they'd be running a fool's errand if they wanted to use their resources fighting enemy aircraft. So, mostly for strategic bombing purposes. Then again, they'd need good places to hide the jets with a short runway to be able to run an operation like that for longer times, I don't know about Iran but for example we have those ready made all over, so you can stick the F18 into a barn and **** like that, just accelerate in the road and take off, but somehow I have difficulties imagining Iran doing the same. What I see happening is 'FOR THE GLORY OF IRANNN!' and they'd assemble few fleets and... crash during the first day.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It would be funny if this was all the Iranian airforce has, they'd be majorly ****ed. I guess they are anyway, if they still use F14s...
            There F-14 fleet has been almost useless for quite some time now. That being said, if it was a properly maintained force with trained pilots, that airframe could still wipe the floor with its regional rivals.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

House backs ban?

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Patrokolos, absolutely, plus it could be used for bombing even against superior airforce and enemy. You just need to avoid enemy and not engage with its airforce.

That said, I don't think that's what they'd do. That would be smart.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I think we would destroy almost every aircraft they have on the ground. We track every military aircraft that takes off from Iran (that we can see), I remember sitting there watching them on the tactical display do so (most of their major installations are near the coast line).

In the event of an attack into the Gulf, there are probably on the order of 200-300 coalition and local power aircraft available, and almost all are vastly superior to Iran's inventory. Not to mention the defacto SAM wall that is 15-20 coalition warships in the gulf, most of which have a range of 100nm plus.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Yes, they would be destroyed on the ground most likely. That's why they would need prepared places where they can hide their jets and move them fast to another place. Take off from the road. Of course that means you have to have good roads and lots of them.

And you kind of need to practice it, so if this in fact was the case, it would be known already.

I don't think they have the capability to do that, it doesn't take lots of resources but it takes certain type of military intelligence to do that effectively. To me it seems like they have chosen another route, similar to many nations, where you mostly have huge parades, so that the soldiers feel like they are a strong army, and that's the only purpose the parade has.

I think they have similar doctrines with their neighbours, and it just tells me not to expect the logical.
                    In da butt.

Comment

They could always bury them like Iraq.

Comment

Yeah. What's the point of having them and then burying them. It's not like they're going to fly after you clean them a bit. That might be the worst thing you'd ever do to a jet. Where they supposed to be used after the war was kind of ... settling down, so SURPRISEE WE ACTUALLY HAVE ALL THIS FIREPOWER HAHAHA!!

Right...
                        In da butt.

Comment

at (not with) Pekka
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think they realized they had no hope of doing anything against the West, but they could be useful against regional rivals/rebellions at a later date.

That being said, yes very stupid, but then again we saw how well hardened bunkers worked in 91

Comment

What part would you find amusing? THe part where your pimp promised to make you the bottom *****, but instead you got only 1 day a week to sleep in his bed, or the part where I ruled this thread?
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X