Teh Unconventionally Ugly Animals Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the link in my last post:

Cymothoa exigua is a parasitic crustacean of the family Cymothoidae. This parasite attaches itself at the base of the tongue of the Spotted rose snapper, Lutjanus guttatus, with the claws on its front three pairs of legs, and extracts blood. As the parasite grows, less and less blood is able to reach the tongue, and eventually the organ atrophies from lack of blood. The parasite then replaces the fish's tongue with its own body, by attaching to the muscles of the tongue stub. The fish is able to use the parasite just like a normal tongue, except that it has to share its food with the parasite. It appears that the parasite does not cause any other damage to the host fish [1]. Once C. exigua replaces the tongue, it supplements its diet with food particles, thereby relieving strain on the host's circulatory system. This is the only known case of a parasite functionally replacing a host organ.
    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Re: Teh Unconventionally Ugly Animals Thread

Originally posted by Sandman
      Let's start with the horrid, horrid star-nosed mole.

ewwwww i saw a picture of one in the Nov 1992 issue of National Geographic.

Comment

Cymothoa
        Ripley failed
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

ouch, this cymothoa is something horrible. But at least it doesn't kill the fish.
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

I want one. I bet it drives the ladies crazy

Take that bloated whale tongue

Anyone else notice a trend with these ugly animals?
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

that they're all kind of disgusting?

Comment

Yeah....that one.

Comment

Working...
                X