• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sting - oppressor of the people?

Sting's wife guilty of treating cook 'shamefully'
    By Jonathan Brown
    Published: 11 May 2007

The saintly image of the rock star Sting and his wife Trudie Styler was left badly tarnished yesterday after an employment tribunal found that they had sexually discriminated against their pregnant cook.

In a damning judgment following a unanimous verdict, the tribunal described Ms Styler's treatment of Jane Martin as "shameful". Ms Martin was sacked after becoming pregnant after eight years of service to the couple, who are high-profile champions of human rights and ecological causes.

The 41-year-old cook was unlawfully dismissed from her £28,000-a-year job by the couple's management company, Lake House Estate, the Southampton tribunal found. In passing judgment, the panel singled out Ms Styler, referred to under her married name of Sumner, for extraordinary personal criticism. It accused the actress of manipulating staff and then failing to take responsibility for her actions.

It said: "Although Mrs Sumner tried to distance herself from various unlawful acts and have them carried out by minions, when the evidence is looked at holistically, her involvement is clear. She is without doubt the driving force manipulating others to perform her dirty work."

It concluded: "The position is aggravated by her lack of courage either to face the claimant direct and inform her she was no longer required or attend the tribunal to give evidence."

The Sumners said they would appeal against the ruling but now face the unwelcome prospect of being forced to pay out record damages next month. Sexual discrimination case awards carry no upper limit.

During the hearing last March, Ms Martin claimed that despite being pregnant she was required to work 14-hour days. On one occasion, when she was in her final trimester, she was ordered to travel from the couple's 800-acre estate near Salisbury to their London home overlooking St James' Park just to make soup and salad for Styler, she said.

In a statement issued by Ms Styler's solicitors yesterday, the mother-of-four said it was "risible to anyone that knows me" to believe that she had discriminated against a pregnant woman. "I am devastated that the tribunal's judgment makes this unjust and unfair attack on Sting and me" she said. "It does not, we believe, reflect the facts which were put before the hearing."

Aggressors
    Blah

By virtue of his lute music album, and his awful renditions of 'Mo Ghile Mear' and 'Mack The Knife'.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

"The position is aggravated by her lack of courage either to face the claimant direct and inform her she was no longer required or attend the tribunal to give evidence."

Oops.

In a statement issued by Ms Styler's solicitors yesterday, the mother-of-four said it was "risible to anyone that knows me" to believe that she had discriminated against a pregnant woman. "I am devastated that the tribunal's judgment makes this unjust and unfair attack on Sting and me" she said. "It does not, we believe, reflect the facts which were put before the hearing."

Maybe she should have attended to put a few of those 'facts' before the tribunal?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

No message icon
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

He got stabbed in that desert movie, what more do you want?

Comment

He is evil...
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Was she arrested by The Police for this?
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Dunno, I'm just shocked that this doesn't get as much replies as the thing about Bono's hat
                Blah

Comment

Working...
                X