overrated movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overrated movies

not a copycat thread. I figure we have one, might as well have another.

Titanic springs to mind. It was a decent movie, I liked it. But extremely overrated. Not a movie I would consider having in my collection. In fact, I only watched it once.

Crash (oscar winning version, not the Canadian perverted version) was also very overrated. The situations were so contrived, it just wasn't believable. Grand Canyon wasn't that great, but it's along the same lines of this movie. See that instead.

In fact, most Oscar winners are overrated (except the ones I like ). The Deer Hunter is overrated imho. But perhaps I was too young to appreciate it.

China Syndrome is overrated.

I could go on and on. I'll think of more later.

Shawshank Redemption - everyone goes on and on about how amazing it was, but I just don't see it. Good movie, but I found it somewhat dull and not this amazing picture everyone likes to claim it as.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: overrated movies

Originally posted by Dis

Crash (oscar winning version, not the Canadian perverted version) was also very overrated. The situations were so contrived, it just wasn't believable. Grand Canyon wasn't that great, but it's along the same lines of this movie. See that instead.
      ...and your thoughts on this one?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Gladiator
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Starship Troopers. Even if people say it is sh*t, they are still overrating it
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
            Starship Troopers. Even if people say it is sh*t, they are still overrating it
            Starship Troopers is a great satiric view on sci-fi action movies and propaganda films.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Dr. Strangelove is a great satiric view. Starship Troopers is a steaming pile of crap.
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Shawshank Redemption - everyone goes on and on about how amazing it was, but I just don't see it. Good movie, but I found it somewhat dull and not this amazing picture everyone likes to claim it as.

You're so ****ing gay, dude...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

We knew that already...

Comment

Re: Re: overrated movies

Originally posted by Wezil

...and your thoughts on this one?
                    I mainly rented it because I heard it had lots of sex scenes in it. But it was just too far out there. Even for me.

Comment

Fight Club...

thats all I can think of
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Re: overrated movies

Originally posted by Dis

Crash (oscar winning version, not the Canadian perverted version) was also very overrated. The situations were so contrived, it just wasn't believable.
                        QFT
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

American History X was way better "racial" movie than Crash. I have to post it in the underrated thread
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

I would say that almost every recently produced Hollywood film is utterly overrated. To be specific, the films of this decade thus far. (In the 90's, Hollywood was still mass producing fairly decent films like Jurassic Park, Forrest Gump, Fight Club etc.)

Take the first Spiderman film for example. I watched the first hour the other night on broadcast TV. I avoided this film initially because I thought the CGI action sequences looked lame. I thought there might be a decent film apart from the special effects, but I was wrong! From the first moments I couldn't believe how crap it was. How could this movie spawn two sequels except that people had been somehow body snatched by an alien species that had a fondness for garbage films?

Okay, so recently I thought I would try a more serious minded superhero film: Batman Begins. I had heard nothing but goodness about the film, and although I had very much enjoyed the over the top previous installments, I was enthusiastic about seeing a more gritty and realistic portrayal of Batman. But within 7 minutes or so I found myself looking at the clock, depressed that I might have to waste another 90 minutes or so of my life in yet another crap film. Then I came to my senses, switched off the DVD player and salvaged precious minutes that on my deathbed I will be grateful for. My god Batman Returns was pathetic.

I admit that I tend to be most attracted to science fiction/fantasy type films, and I can't really comment on the supposed cream of Hollywood: films like A Beautiful Mind, Crash, Brokeback Mountain etc. I only have limited funds, and anyway, films about gay cowboys and crazy mathematicians don't perk my interest in the slightest for some reason.

Conclusion: to me, Hollywood doesn't produce films anymore. They produce material that is more akin to mini-series quality, or even TV show quality. I can only speculate that rationalisation has had such a severe affect on the Hollywood machine, forced largely by the file sharing and dilution of profits, that many of the aspects that made films have a heightened, otherworldly feel, have been mercilessly pruned off.

(Thankgoodness for foreign and independent films, because Hollywood is now a write-off.)

The most depressing thing though is everyone seems to be ignorant, and still display enthusiasm for dreck like Spiderman 3 or 300. But I know the bottom line tells the true story, with cinema going at all time lows (at least in my home).
                            Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

In the 90's, Hollywood was still mass producing fairly decent films like Jurassic Park, Forrest Gump, Fight Club etc.

Huh... that's a.. um, curious.. definition of 'decent'.

Besides, Spiderman 2 was better than all three of the flicks you listed.

Comment

Working...
                              X