Tornado Proof Homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Berzerker
    I dont see why, but the cost would go down as more suppliers start producing the materials or structural components. Big problem would be windows, etc... The entrance would be dug down so the doorway is below ground level on the first floor with a 2nd floor (if desired) at or just above ground level.

warning: this house will not protect you from flying cars or wood planks shot out of cannons
    It's not as if we don't have these kinds of structures. In the city here, the buildings are constructed with steel-reinforced concrete. This construction method costs over twice as much as typical wood-frame housing.

Why would a normal American give up his 2,500 ft^2 nice new house for something half the size, just in order to be tornado-proof?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

It's not as if we don't have these kinds of structures. In the city here, the buildings are constructed with steel-reinforced concrete. This construction method costs over twice as much as typical wood-frame housing.

Why would a normal American give up his 2,500 ft^2 nice new house for something half the size, just in order to be tornado-proof?
      Marketing?
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

This construction method costs over twice as much as typical wood-frame housing.

You still build houses out of wood?! I thought only Eastern Europe has those.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Of course we do. Why wouldn't we? It's part of the reason why large sections of the middle class can afford big ass houses.

Lots of land. Lots of wood. Good roads. Good cars.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Ack.

I was in Lithuania in the summer, where half of my time was spent on freaking out because of all the wood homes. How can you not have concrete walls around you?
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

It's easy. I've lived in both kinds of structures. Wood doesn't suffer in the comparison.

Comment

There is a huge difference in the prices of materials, by country. All over Southern Europe and the Middle East, concrete is cheap and wood is expensive. A pity, since wood is much better suited to earthquakes and more insulating than concrete.
                "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                George Orwell

Comment

Wouldn't building your house underground or on top of a mountain be the best way to "tornado proof" it?
                  Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                  Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Working...
                  X