• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another reason why I love Korea

What a country

County honors 3 for drinking heavily

May 04, 2007
    GOESAN, North Chungcheong ¡ª The local economy needed a boost, so the Goesan county government decided to reward three people who are already doing their part, one drink at a time.
    Three government employees were awarded a three-day trip to Jeju Island and a plaque on Tuesday for drinking heavily in local bars for more than 20 years.
    ¡°The local economy is suffering because restaurants and bars have few customers at night,¡± said a government official who declined to be named. ¡°These employees are devoting themselves to boosting the local economy by drinking after work.¡±
    The only problem? One of them had his driver¡¯s license cancelled for drunk driving in 2005.
    ¡°I drank with local residents to discuss a local cultural event and was caught driving home because I thought the taxi fare would be too expensive,¡± said the employee, who refused to be named. ¡°I did not know I would receive an award for drinking and have been doing some self-reflection.¡±
    The award winners were chosen based on recommendations from co-workers, local restaurants and bars. They were acclaimed for drinking with co-workers or local residents at bars for more than 20 years. Goesan county employees called the award the ¡°Drinking Culture Prize.¡±
    Lim Gak-soo, the county head, said in an interview, ¡°I decided to create the award to motivate employees who have been working really hard since I took office in July of last year.¡±

By Kim Bang-hyeon JoongAng Ilbo [soejung@joongang.co.kr]
    Seriously, company boozing sessions are a massive part of office culture here and its damn nice to be able to have an open can of beer on a train or whatnot and have nobody bother you.
    Stop Quoting Ben

Is this north korea or south korea?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
      Is this north korea or south korea?
      South.
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

My family's from that province, but from the more civilized city of Cheongju.
          B♭3

Comment

I thought it was going to be about this...

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Boozing it up until 3 am and then getting into work on time is a serious drag.

Alcohol damages for Seoul woman
            A South Korean woman pressured by her former boss to drink alcohol at company dinners has been awarded damages by a court.

The unidentified woman's ex-employer was told to pay her 30m won (£16,275) by the Seoul High Court.

"It's a violation of human dignity to force one to drink against his or her will," Judge Kang-Young-ho was quoted as saying by the Associated Press (AP).

Heavy drinking sessions are common in South Korea's corporate culture.

A lower court had already ruled in favour of the woman's case and awarded her 7m won (£3,800) in compensation, which was increased by the high court's ruling.

If he or she suffered mental stress through forced drinking, it constitutes an illegal act
            Judge Kang

The court had heard the drinking sessions went on as late as 0300, twice a week.

Her employer, according to AP, once threatened he would get a male colleague to kiss her if she did not take part in the drinking sessions. He also pressured her to drink when she was suffering from stomach problems, the agency reported.

"Forcing drinking against (an employee's) limit and willingness infringes on personal rights," the court said in a statement.

"If he or she suffered mental stress through forced drinking, it constitutes an illegal act," Judge Kang was quoted by AFP.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
              My family's from that province, but from the more civilized city of Cheongju.
              Ah, I used to live twenty minutes from Cheongju. Of course you know what the stereotype of people from Chungcheong is in Korea
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

Ah, I used to live twenty minutes from Cheongju. Of course you know what the stereotype of people from Chungcheong is in Korea
                That we're perfect in every single way?
                B♭3

Comment

I thought this thread would have pics of cute, crazy Korean girls.

Wait, that's redundant. Cute Korean girls.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                  X