Cork Choir Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cork Choir Festival

I am currently in Ireland - first time for me - in the city of Corcaigh (Cork) singing with the Wayne State University Concert Chorale in this international festival.

Wednesday 1st - Sunday 5th May 2024. Bringing Cork to Life with Song since 1954. One of Europe’s premier international choral festivals, Cork is noted for its high standards, eclectic and wide-ranging programme, and the friendliness of its welcome.

I had a chance to see the Tuvan throat singers http://www.huunhuurtu.com/ as well as some other musical offerings. Very exciting things going on here this week!

The rest of the group is heading down to the Blarney Stone on Monday.. but because I am out of Euros, I think I will just be staying in the hotel reading (wish I had brought GalCivII with me.. dernit!)

Anyhow.. the competition singing was tonight, and I do not yet know how we placed. We sang very well, however, so I am hopeful of placing at the top.

Was it in Cork's opera house?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

No.. actually most of the festival activities are held right in City Hall. They have a theater there.

They are showing the King and I on Tuesday at the opera house, though.

Our music director.. the first time he attended the festival, he thought the events would be held at the opera house. He bought a ticket, sat down, and was treated to the beginning of whatever production was showing at the time.

He was able to get a refund after he realized his error.

Comment

I hope you enjoy Cork- I have friends from there, but have never been myself.

My father-in-law is in a Welsh male voice choir and gets to travel to Canada, Poland, Spain, Germany, et cetera.

In several places they've been treated to free drinks from pub/inn/hotel owners too- in exchange for a song.

Good luck with the contest.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I've been receiving a great deal of complimentary short-bread... does that count?

Thanx!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarxis
            I've been receiving a great deal of complimentary short-bread... does that count?

Thanx!
            When you've finished in the competition see if you can wangle some free Guinness, seafood or sweetbreads.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I did get to try some Guinness here.. from the tap. Very good! And I am not one for beer actually.

Hard cider is very popular here too. So I tried some of it, and I can see why.

Coming back to the States tomorrow. We placed 7th of the nine choirs, which is expected. All nine choirs scored within 6 percentile, so it was close for everyone. Our choir has never done a competition before, and is not a professional choir at all, just a bunch of undergrads fulfilling their ensemble requirements to graduate :P It was an honor to be invited to come in the first place.

Comment

If you have the time tonight, make sure you go drink some Beamish. There's a dedicated pub right in front of the brewery. Good place
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yes, everyone who's tried it says the Beamish is great. It is brewed right here in the city. Even the Lord Mayor recommended we try some after we sang for him privately at the City Hall.

Comment

Working...
                  X