Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Just 3.5 months after heading off a Congressional show down over his illegal program to spy on American citizens without warrents; Bush has now said that when he promised he would stop wire taping without search warrents he really didn't mean it. This administration can never be trusted. They lie, lie, lie.

Bush administration pulls back on surveillance agreement
    By James Risen
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007

WASHINGTON: Senior U.S. administration officials have told the U.S. Congress that they could not promise that the Bush administration would fulfill its January pledge to continue to seek warrants from a secret court for a domestic wiretapping program.

Rather, they argued that the president had the constitutional authority to decide for himself whether to conduct surveillance without warrants.

As a result of the agreement in January, the administration said that the domestic spying program of the National Security Agency had been brought under the legal structure laid out in the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which required court-approved warrants for the wiretapping of U.S. citizens and others within the United States.

But the senior officials, including Michael McConnell, the new director of national intelligence, said Tuesday that they believed the president still had the authority under Article II of the U.S. Constitution to once again order the NSA to conduct surveillance inside the country without warrants.

During a hearing of the Senate Intelligence Committee, McConnell was asked by Senator Russ Feingold, a Democrat of Wisconsin, whether he could promise that the administration no longer would sidestep the court when seeking warrants.

"Sir, the president's authority under Article II is in the Constitution," McConnell said. "So if the president chose to exercise Article II authority, that would be the president's call."

The administration earlier had argued that both the president's inherent executive powers under Article II of the Constitution, as well as the September 2001 congressional authorization to use military force against Al Qaeda, provided him with the power to conduct surveillance without warrants.

McConnell said that all domestic electronic surveillance was being conducted with court-approved warrants and that there were no plans "that we are formulating or thinking about currently" to resume it without warrants.

The administration seeks new legislation to update the surveillance act to expand government surveillance powers, in part to deal with changes in communications technology since 1978, when the measure was enacted.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Did you actually read the article?

Comment

As always, yes. You clearly haven't or you wouldn't have asked such a stupid question. I'm used to it from you though.

Comment

They're saying they have the right to resume illegal wire tapping, that they don't plan to resume illegal wire tapping (remember they've lied about this on numerous occasions), but claim they have the absolute power to illegally wire tap at will. Except they don't and it has been leaked that their illegal wire tapping program is still on going so once again they've lied to Congress.

Comment

Is that what your article says?

Everything the admin guys said is true. If anything the January "agreement" is an example of the admin NOT using powers it obviously has. Isn't that what you want?

Incidently though not asked, the admin also refused to rule out mashal law in Vermont and nuclear attacks against Mali. Scum!
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

i think they wire tap me

Comment

So, who is getting stuck in carbon?
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Has anyone pointed out to the Adminstration that the 4th Amendment was passed after Article II and thereby...er...amends it. This is kinda an elementary point, and I think someone in the Administration would have the minimal brains necessary to grasp it.

Comment

They grasp it. They just don't care.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by b etor
                    i think they wire tap me
                    We told you before, b etor: we don't want to know who's been "tapping" you! Sheesh...
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

That's, like, a new name for cybersex, then?
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by b etor
                        i think they wire tap me
                        It's not wire tapping if you WEAR a wire.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

gahhhh

Comment

but what if they use their forces for the greater good?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                              but what if they use their forces for the greater good?
                              Like the Tau?
                              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                              X