Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is being part of a religion a rational economic decision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is being part of a religion a rational economic decision?

Put aside any of the existence of god issues, etc etc.

What are the benefits of going to church especially if that church limits the benefits you could have? Also couldnt you just fake being a religion without contributing tithes, following rules etc etc and gain any possible benefit?

Someone explain the benefits of organized religion and church.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Building churches creates jobs
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Being burned at the stake diminishes your earning potential.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Protestant work ethic
        Blah

Comment

The Church is obscenely wealthy. Martin Luther is not amused...
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

the most obvious economic benefit is networking opportunities. But equally obvious you can get those by showing up, you dont have to actually believe anything.

old joke:

"Mr. Cohen, why do you go to shul every week? Mr Levine I understand, he's very pious, but you're a complete atheist."

"Levine goes to talk to God, I go to talk to Levine"
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              Building churches creates jobs
              but you can do this without being part of a religion. You could do this without even following the rules of the religion that you say you belong to.

why is it rational to join a church, and be a paragon of the faith?
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                but you can do this without being part of a religion. You could do this without even following the rules of the religion that you say you belong to.
                Being a true believer probably makes you more likely to try and raise the money for, and then decide to spend it on building, a place of worship.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  the most obvious economic benefit is networking opportunities. But equally obvious you can get those by showing up, you dont have to actually believe anything.

old joke:

"Mr. Cohen, why do you go to shul every week? Mr Levine I understand, he's very pious, but you're a complete atheist."

"Levine goes to talk to God, I go to talk to Levine"
                  I am most amused by this!

Its basically where I was going with this whole thing.

Comment

Being a true believer probably makes you more likely to try and raise the money for, and then decide to spend it on building, a place of worship.
                    But what gain do YOU personally get out of a communal building? unless you're paying yourself. Should you really pay yourself if the object of the church was for the greater glory?

Comment

Re: Why is being part of a religion a rational economic decision?

Also couldnt you just fake being a religion without contributing tithes, following rules etc etc and gain any possible benefit?
                      Sure. But you also could just fake to be an org helping hungry people in Africa, aids victims etc etc and raise lots of money from people who don't know you actually spend it for sex and drugs
                      Blah

Comment

But what gain do YOU personally get out of a communal building?
                        Fewer jobless people in your community

Comment

I am most amused by this!

Its basically where I was going with this whole thing.
                          yah but, theres the "jew jitsu"

Cohen, by coming and talking to Levine in shul, is reinforcing his belonging to the people of Israel, which is itself a holy thing, and so he is pleasing G-d, who has the last laugh.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Fewer jobless people in your community
                            So theres a one time net job gain that ends when the church is built. Im not thinking about the community economics, Im thinking about the economics of being a parishoner. The community doesnt have to be part of the church to build the church.

Comment

It's all about the cliques. Long ago, before Laz admitted he was addicted to smoking, he extolled the same virtues about being a smoker -- it's great for networking.

The same is true for being gay, as luck would have it. Back at IBM I was frequently eating dinners with groups of upper management as part of the gay employees association of IBM. Not only did we get many free meals, but I got great connections out of it that helped me swing my current job.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X