Turskish constitutional Court declares friday's presidential elections invalid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF is a deputy?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

From the BBC:

Turkey PM to ask for early poll
      Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said he will ask parliament to approve an early general election.

He also said he would ask for a change in the constitution to allow the president to be chosen by the people.

Mr Erdogan was speaking after the country's constitutional court annulled last Friday's parliamentary vote to elect a new president.

Secularist opposition parties had challenged the vote in court to prevent the foreign minister from winning.

The parties accuse Abdullah Gul of having a hidden Islamist agenda and say his election would threaten Turkey's secular tradition.

Mr Erdogan, the leader of the AK party, which has Islamist roots and had put forward Mr Gul as its candidate, said he would apply for new polls on Wednesday and they could be held as soon as 24 June.

The polls are currently scheduled for 4 November.

Army role

Mr Erdogan announced a package of reform proposals that included reducing the term of parliament from five years to four.

He was speaking after the constitutional court annulled last Friday's vote in which Mr Gul failed to win the required majority amid a boycott by the opposition.

The constitutional court backed the opposition's argument that a quorum of two-thirds of the 550 lawmakers was not present.

A total of 361 lawmakers voted - 357 for Mr Gul - but 367 were needed to make a quorum.

Mr Gul and Mr Erdogan deny there is any hidden Islamist agenda.

But the BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Istanbul says the army had made it clear it would not tolerate Mr Gul as president.

It warned it would defend the separation of state and religion, the legacy of the state's founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

Our correspondent says the court is officially independent but had been under immense pressure to reach precisely the verdict it did. It is one that is likely to divide Turkey further, she says.

On Sunday, hundreds of thousands of people rallied in Istanbul in support of secularism.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I wonder if those early elections are such a good idea, after all. If the situation is tense and the population is highly divided, an election is bound to worsen those divisions, and create instability. Maybe they'd be better off, voting for an interim prez as figurehead, and waiting for the scheduled elections to occur.

Besides, it's really stupid to have a president directly elected by the people when the country is divided. Such an election makes the regime more presidential, creates a personalization of politics, and worsens existing divisions.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
          Asmodean
          Ecthy
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

What would the military have against early elections?

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              WTF is a deputy?

I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot no deputy, ooh hoo hoo

Many countries have 2 legislatures, one of deputies, more numerous, and one of senators.

The senators represent all states/provinces equally, and the deputies according to population.

I am not particularly in favour of it, only one is enough imo
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Germany has 600 but we also have a larger population.
                You got 80 million, Turkey got 70.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas

Many countries have 2 legislatures, one of deputies, more numerous, and one of senators.

The senators represent all states/provinces equally, and the deputies according to population.

I am not particularly in favour of it, only one is enough imo
                  Well, we have 2 legislatures too (well, technically one legislature with two houses), but we don't call them deputies. Deputies is a stupid name for them.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

What would the military have against early elections?
                    Well, the AKP is riding high in the polls. Later elections might offer a better chance of getting a secularist prez without the military having to intervene directly.

What does Erdogan, Gul, et consortes's "islamism" amount to, anyway? Their only concrete islamistic policy I can recall hearing of is opposing the headscarf ban, which any liberal should support.
                    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                    X