Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you let religion ruin your potential multi-million dollar career?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you let religion ruin your potential multi-million dollar career?

Religion first for Jewish forward

Former Rempart won't practise, play on Sabbath
    May 01, 2007 04:30 AM
    Kevin McGran
    SPORTS REPORTER

Benjamin Rubin, an 18-year-old winger with Patrick Roy's Quebec Remparts, won't be back next season with the Quebec Major Junior hockey club because his religion comes first.

Rubin, an observant Orthodox Jew, refuses to play hockey or practise with the team on the Sabbath, between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday.

Roy gave Rubin a chance this season to maintain his religious observances and Rubin missed 35 games.

After the Remparts season ended, Roy told the 6-foot-1, 186-pounder he would be invited back next season and have a spot on the second line, only if he could play every day.

"They just told me that's the deal," said Rubin. "That's why I'm not going to be playing, because I missed too many games.

"He (Roy) told me I had third- or second-line (talent), but I missed too many games to fill the spot. He can't have that next year."

Rubin wrestled with his decision, but ultimately chose religion. So Roy told the forward his roster spot would go to another player.

"It was really hard, because it's my future in hockey," said Rubin. "I still think I can make it far with keeping my religion. I think there's a chance for the NHL, but I'm not sure."

Rubin said he expects Roy to trade him to a team with few Friday night games. Roy did not return phone calls.

Rubin does not believe he's a victim of religious persecution. Instead, he fully accepted Roy's predicament and thanked the former NHL goalie for giving him a chance to play major junior this year, even while he observed the Sabbath.

"He accepted that before ... training camp," Rubin said of Roy. "He knew my story before I tried out. He told me I made the team on talent, not because of anything else."

While a few Jews have made the NHL, it's not believed an Orthodox Jew ever has. Some professional athletes who are Jewish – like former Blue Jay Shawn Green and Dodgers pitcher Sandy Koufax – have refused to play during the high holiday of Yom Kippur.

Rubin said he found it a challenge to remain as observant as his religion demands while being away from home and with his teammates. Rather than eat the team meal, he had to bring his own kosher food. During the Sabbath, he didn't drive or even use electricity.

And interviewed by his hometown Montreal Canadiens, he told them he would not give up his convictions even to play for the team he grew up admiring. He said even if it was the Stanley Cup final and the Canadiens were playing on a Saturday while the sun was up, he wouldn't dress.

"The Canadiens interviewed me," said Rubin. "They said if I was able to play on Friday nights, they would draft me for sure. Now it's going to be a little hard, but they're still going to try to draft me.

"They think I have the talent to take it to the next level. That's what Patrick Roy told me, too."

It's clear if Rubin is going to make it in the NHL, he's going to make it on his own terms and as a long shot.

Rubin had three goals, one assist and 19 penalty minutes in 29 games with the Remparts this season. He is not among the 210 players listed as top prospects by the NHL's Central Scouting Bureau.

He is, nonetheless, a prospect worth keeping an eye on, said E.J. McGuire, the director of the NHL's Central Scouting.

"He's an interesting player, good enough to play major junior, which sets him apart from a lot of other kids. He'll have some options," said McGuire. "The only way he's going to continue to improve is to get more ice time, get more games in."

Interesting...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

It's a good question to ask this guy in about 50 years (rephrased a bit, anyway).

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I wouldn't have a religion that is so demanding. The God I pray to doesn't hinder me from living.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

"It was really hard, because it's my future in hockey," said Rubin. "I still think I can make it far with keeping my religion. I think there's a chance for the NHL, but I'm not sure."

Roy gave Rubin a chance this season to maintain his religious observances and Rubin missed 35 games.

Rubin had three goals, one assist and 19 penalty minutes in 29 games with the Remparts this season. He is not among the 210 players listed as top prospects by the NHL's Central Scouting Bureau.
        He still thinks he can play pro? I guess we all need dreams.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, seeing his point totals, I can see why he won't be asked back.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I would.
            My faith and those with whom I share my faith are together with my family most important in life.
            It's to me like asking: "Would you give up your son for 1 million dollar", I obviously wouldn't give him up for any money in the world.
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

...and he missed more games than he played.

edit: But then again, didn't Lindros make a career of not playing?
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

If my principles went against a potential multi-million dollars career, I would probably choose my principles.

It'd be easier for me to compromise my principles in order to survive, than in in order to get rich.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

He is not among the 210 players listed as top prospects by the NHL's Central Scouting Bureau.
                  So... this story is actually a good way to get him SOME press... maybe it will even help his chances to play in the NHL... because without the story, he is flying way below the radar
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Spoken like a true ad-man.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                      I wouldn't have a religion that is so demanding. The God I pray to doesn't hinder me from living.

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                        I feel much better on the weeks I keep the shabbos. It enhances life.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I feel much better on the weeks I keep the shabbos. It enhances life.
                          I'm not saying it doesn't. However, if your livelihood or your dependent's livelihood required you to, would you not every now and then? A secure, good paying job also enhances life.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Promiscuous sex also.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

http://www.jewish-holiday.com/koufax.html
                              First off, baseball is not a sport. It's a pasttime.

Secondly, I wonder how great SK's baseball legacy would have been if he had played all his games? Perhaps he would have won the first and seventh games. He might have even become someone I didn't have to look up.

Comment

Working...
                              X