The Atheist vs. Theist Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Atheist vs. Theist Thread!

The rules are: Unarmed combat only, no weapons, no help, no outside interference. Both contestants are assumed to be in their prime of life for the sake of the match. All styles of combat are permitted. Battles can be to the death, to KO, or until one or the other forfeits.

First Match: Thomas Aquinas vs. Thomas Paine. I'm going to call this one a dead heat. On the one hand, Aquinas was hardly the violent type, but he was by all accounts good at processing a lot of information at once, which could come in handy in a brawl assuming it applies to sensory information as well as abstract contemplation. Plus, if Paine looked anything like his picture in Colonization, he must have been just about the world's worst fighter.

Second: Darwin vs. Darby. I'm leaning towards Darby. Darwin is quite familiar with the concept of survival of the fittest, and he spent a lot of time out of doors. But Darby's the guy who invented the Rapture. He's CRAZY. We all know about the strength and courage of madmen, don't we?

Third: Bertrand Russell vs. Charles Taze Russell. I say Bertrand. Pastor Russell would no doubt have been quite skilled at fighting dirty, but like all con men he must have been a coward at heart. He'd cry uncle the moment the match went against him. And I'm pretty sure Bertrand's got roughly twice his intelligence.

Other suggestions are welcome. Matches will be made based on the congruency of names for humorous or dramatic effect, as in the examples above. Agnostics and Deists can be classified as Atheists for the purposes of this thread, since they're generally on the atheist side in arguments and I'm too lazy to look up the religious beliefs of all these people. Not for a joke thread...and I hope nobody was suggesting a SERIOUS thread.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

WTFP?
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Animists FTW!

Comment

WHy would the aethiests be afraid of outside interference?
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I am reminded of:

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
            WTFP?
            If Spike TV and the WWE have taught us nothing else, and they haven't, it's that absolutely anything can be settled in the ring. I see no reason why profound existential matters should be excluded. Plus these fights, unlike the current intellectual battles, might actually have some sort of decisive conclusion, and are at least entertaining.
            1011 1100

Comment

It really should be a cage match though just to guard against outside interference.
              Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
              Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Could God build a cage so strong even he couldn't get through it?

Comment

What's the exact purpose of this thread?
                  I'm very happy to have a theist vs atheist debate. It's been at least 5 years after all since we had a decent one.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

No; as I said, at least physical fights eventually end. Keep those asinine debates out of my differently-asinine thread. Only problem is, I'm stuck trying to think of more matchups, and nobody else here seems to find this as amusing as I do. Yeah, I'm weird.
                    1011 1100

Comment

What does Thomas Jefferson count as? Deist and therefore (in the context of this thread) atheist? Or is he a believer?

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I always thought of deism as a subset of theism.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Me too, but Elok set up deists as on the atheist side in this thread... so I figured I'd doublecheck.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

It's ambiguous, I admit. I think of him as closer to atheist just because he tended to side against mainstream theism, as when he cut out the "superstitious" parts of the gospel to turn Jesus into Socrates or what-have-you. But I suppose you could classify him as a "religionist," to use the popular term. Who were you thinking of matching him up against?
                            1011 1100

Comment

If he was on the atheist side, I was gonna go Jefferson-Tolkien

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X