Do you do 'Gruscheln' in Facebook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you do 'Gruscheln' in Facebook?

In the German version of Facebook (www.studivz.net) there's a feature where you can perform a certain action on any one user, no matter if they are in your friend list or not - Gruscheln.

This word has originally no specific meaning in the German language. But it sounds a bit like 'Kuscheln' - to cuddle, snuggle, nestle, huddle. But it also reminds people of 'Grapschen' - to grab. Others claim the odd initial latters come from 'Grüßen' - to greet.

So whenever you perform this action on someone, in can have a variety of meanings which makes it an interesting thing to do. Many do it among (opposite sex) friends to just send an informal greeting with friendship, accompanying private messages it can have a flirty meaning. If you send it to someone unknown who posted a nice picture of them it definitely means flirting.

Then there's the feature of group membership - you can found groups for people from Berlin, people performing Aikido, people studying abroad year in Spain 8examples of my groups) - and then there's one that says "If you Gruschel me it means you want to f*ck me" - explicitly stating that Gruscheling them has a sexual connotation. I've gruscheled a girl from my old class that had that group membership listed, knowingly, but then even this can have an ironic, joing context - just like flirting in real life.

With hundreds of thousands (some claim millions) of German students forming members of that Facebook-like platform, Gruscheln has become an integral part of German students culture. Does it exist in Facebook?

Are there any comparable phenomena in other countries?

It's called "Poke" in Facebook.

It's either something cute to do to someone to already know to tell them you are just thinking about them (not necessarily sexual or gay if you do it to someone of the same sex). It can be used for flirting though. It can also be used for just saying hi to someone who don't really know at all and if they poke back then it means they are interested in talking more.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Yeah, it does have that function primarily also, though it never loses this very slight scent of flirting, at least to me

Comment

Maybe you should create an Apolyton group on there.

We have one on Facebook.

"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Yeah but I've found only few people from Civ forums there, none from Apolyton (except Stefan Härtel the other day).

There's a group for Civilization players but I' not going to put that into my profile

Comment

This cute female friend of mine joined the Facebook group "Enough with the poking, let's have sex already," and then poked me on the same day. It was weird, because I'd never thought of her that way before
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

So did you do her?

Comment

When you poke someone on facebook it also lets you view their profile if you couldn't already and haven't become friends yet. Either way it's pretty pointless and I think i've been poked by more boys than girls......

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                  So did you do her?
                  No. Still don't see her that way.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

So is she cute or not?

Comment

People occasionally engage in "poke wars" since you can't poke someone again until they poke you back.

Comment

In StudiVZ you cannot somebody poke again until they disabled the last Gruscheln.

Also, sometimes guys arrange a person and time to mass-Gruscheln. They pick a nice girl and Gruschel her all at once, 20 guys, 50, who knows. These girls feel molested and have sued and now it's not allowed anymore.

Kuci, what is your Facebook page?

Comment

Cincinatti Ohio? is that a real pic of you?

Comment

If you look at a group, I told everyone to poke Zylka.

Wasn't staged down to an exact time though.

Comment

Yeah seems quite harmless if it happens once and doesn't involve too many people.

Anyway, in Germany it's now Verboten.

Comment

Working...
                              X