German question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German question

Does the word 'canaille' exist in German ?

Can there be any sexual connotation to it, either in its modern or archaic sense (19th century) ?

If any German here has got a 'good', literary dictionary, he would do me a great favor if he verified this.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Yes, Kanaille/Canaille: either a group of 'lowly' people (mob, riffraff, rabble), or a single person (scoundrel, villain, beggar). No sexual connotation at all.

I've encountered the word only once in German literature, in Thomas Mann's "Die Buddenbrooks". The Senator voices his contempt for the working class, and calls them Canaille.

The word isn't used anymore.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

There is a scandinavian version "kanalje" with same meaning as ElTigre says.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Actually, I'm commenting a text where Nietzsche calls Rousseau a 'canaille' (I checked the German original on this).

My hypothesis won't work, but it might be better this way, I would have revolutionized Nietzsche's interpretations forever with that.

Comment

Well, sorry, no sex, but at least in scandic it has a positive note - something like "yeah, he is a villain/crook/bandit, but he does it with some style".
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
              Actually, I'm commenting a text where Nietzsche calls Rousseau a 'canaille' (I checked the German original on this).

My hypothesis won't work, but it might be better this way, I would have revolutionized Nietzsche's interpretations forever with that.
              I can see why you were hoping for a sexual connotation...

Well, sorry, no sex, but at least in scandic it has a positive note - something like "yeah, he is a villain/crook/bandit, but he does it with some style".
              Not in German, to the contrary. Kanaille describes someone who definitely lacks style, pride or culture.

Comment

Originally posted by ElTigre
                Not in German, to the contrary. Kanaille describes someone who definitely lacks style, pride or culture.
                Digging a bit, it seems to have changed in time - originally not so nice but in the late use of it it has softened (that is some 100 years ago - it's not exactly a word in the youths vocabulary )

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I've only heard of Canaille in the meaning of "Little Miss Naughty".

No sexual connotations, just a childrens' book.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Wo ist der toiletten, bitte?
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I see the German question has been answered once and for all

Comment

It's not the German question I fear, it's the German solution
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

"kanalia" in polish
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

Canalla in Spanish

+1
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

Herr Ober, ein Bier, aber zackzack!
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X