Google actively filtering search results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google actively filtering search results

So there I was searching for Joanna Krupa after someone mentioned her name as a polish beauty when I suddenly bumped into this page:

What the heck?!

Is google now my mom and dad?
    Why is there no real link to the page? What I want to get malicious software?

I don't see a problem with this. Google doesn't have to link to everything directly. If they don't want to provide a link to certain content through their service, that's their right.

Just a guess, but sites that distribute malware displayed within their frame may have some legal implications they are trying to avoid.

Comment

I don't see a problem with this. Google doesn't have to link to everything directly. If they don't want to provide a link to certain content through their service, that's their right.
      How is meddling in search results beyond the basic ranking good?

And anyways - if you point me to this page, at least have a decency to let me reach it eventually.

Comment

What about the link in the line that says:

Or you can see the image in its own context www.someaddress.com at your own risk

Isn't that the link to where you were planning to go?
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Best. Babe Thread. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
            How is meddling in search results beyond the basic ranking good?
            It's easy enough to see how sites that distribute malware might be frowned upon by some. To be honest, I quite like that a search engine would filter out malware sites. Even though the likelyhood of my computer being affected is minimal, I just don't want to go to sites like that in the first place, and hopefully the reduced traffic from such a major search engine will get them to remove the malware.

If it bothers you, use another search engine. There are plenty of options to choose from.

And anyways - if you point me to this page, at least have a decency to let me reach it eventually.
            They do give the URL to the page. They just don't send you there within their frame.

Comment

It's okay by me...I kinda like that feature, actually. Malware has plagued the internet for long enough. It's good to see a large company like Google take an active stance against it

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Further evidence that libertarianism doesn't work.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                  Further evidence that libertarianism doesn't work.
                  You know what? You're actually right

Hadn't thought about it that way, but here's the deal: I hate the legislation being passed these years that restricts individual freedom based on the terrorism threat. I think it is blatant invasion of privacy, and I am strongly against it.

But I still like this initiative from Google...does that make me weird

Asmodean
                  Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Not really, because Google is a private business which has every right to determine what it will, or will not, allow through it's service. (Within legal limits of course.) It's not an issue of free speech, just an issue of how well Google can match up it's service to it's user's preferences.

If on the other hand this was due to a law being passed about what kind of sites could be allowed to show up in search engines, I know I'd be against it. I'd guess almost everyone here would as well, simply because of the free speech implications.

Comment

Google checks if a site is in a 3rd-party database of sites that distribute malware and, if it is, puts up that message. It can only be a good thing. Google is being a responsible citizen on the Internet.

Comment

Good behavior

There is a difference between just printing an URL and linking to it. While the latter is certainly more convenient for the user, the former avoids stupid "I clicked on Google and got me a virus" complaints (or even lawsuits). You can still copy/paste the provided URL into your browser and visit the page, if you wish so. This just demands own activity beyond a simple click and makes you think again before you do it.

Comment

I like this and I've seen it before as well.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd hit it.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X