Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Expect The Unexpected, Is It Really Unexpected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On topic, if you expect the unexpected, its expected.

Though I think it is impossible to actually "expect" the unexpected.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

That is what Berkeley said...
      And I believe Berkeley is dead wrong.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What we know today tells us that tree falling through the air and hitting the tree would create sound waves, ergo, it obviously makes a sound.
        But we only "know" this through observation.

Yeah, Berkeley may be dead wrong. However, a belief in God is a social contract that Sloww subscribes too, and such is that of Berkeley attempting to explain the existance of God within the paradigm of enlightened, Newtonian philosiphers. If Sloww believes in God, then he can't believe in unexpected events any more than he can believe in trees not making sounds when they fall.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
          That is not the question, it is a caveat, or condition of the question. The question is "does it make a sound/noise" not "did anyone hear it".

The question is, "If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?". You're the one trying to strip away relevent portions of the question and address another question entirely.

The answer to that question is... We can observe the event without hearing it, and depending on the definition of "sound" it may or may not make one. If "sound" is defined as a vibration transmitted through an elastic solid, liquid, or gas at frequencies generally audible to the human ear... then yes, it makes a sound. If "sound" is defined as the mind's interpretation of the impulses triggered by those waves impacting the eardrum... then no, it doesn't make a sound.

In either case, the "God" answer is bogus.

In the question we are given the condition that "no one is there to hear it", thus we are aware that a direct observation cannot be made of the event.
          Technically, God, if He/She/It exists, is "someone", and so the question would be inapplicable as long as God were there to hear it. If God does not "hear" in the same manner which humans do, then you're back to the same issue as without God. It is up to the definition of "sound" to determine the answer.

Comment

Even if there isn't a person there, there are bugs animals etc.

So, the sound will still be heard.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
            X