No announcement yet.

When possessions become a curse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm. Personally, I am not wont to complain when possessions become a purse.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
      When I see the thread title I can't help but think "I don't really see how random demon possession can ever be a good thing".
      Yeah, sounds like one of Thorn's.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        I need to get rid of some of my stuff. I mostly have books and games.

Jon Miller
        Ever try freecycle?
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

???

JonM iller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
            ???

JonM iller
            its a set of Yahoogroups, you need a Yahoo email account, you join the one for your local area. Folks post offers to the group "OFFER - old chair, slightly beaten up, email for best time to pick up"

you hook up by email or phone, and pick it up. Usually first to ask. You have to promise to use it, not resell it. Offers cant be for sale or trade. Once something is taken, the offeror post "TAKEN - old chair, thanks"

You can also post "WANTED" but only if youve already posted an OFFER and a TAKEN.

The goal is to help folks declutter stuff they dont want, and get for free stuff they do want. the motto is "reduce, reuse, recycle"

Ive gotten moving materials (boxes and wrapping paper) and some ancient PC games. Ive given an old fondue pot (we had two)

We also used Craigslist. We sold an external Hard Drive, and we got packing material (for free, theres also a free section that works a bit like Freecycle, but fewer rules)
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re books, I'm going to try to get rid of my books. Scan to PDF and then use a reader, such as Sony's.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                I found a combination of eBay and recycling stuff was the best way! eBay has netted me a few grand in the past few years with selling on a lot of sentimental stuff (gaming, comics etc), then there's ca$h Converters shops for a few quid or car boot sales (AMAZING what CRAP people will buy!)
                I can't be arsed with fiddling around with eBay, but there is an eBay shop up the road, which I might try. Even if I get a few quid it's better than nothing. A car boot sale must be worth a stab too.

I like the idea of giving books to the library. I'll check that out too.
                Last edited by Cort Haus; April 24, 2007, 10:18.

Comment

I like having books, and like reading paper... but some of my books I don't read that often (they are mostly sci-fi/fantasy)

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Books are my curse.

Generally, what I want to have is a house that I own, on the "my home is my castle" grounds, and a library. I don't care whether other crap is mine or not, and I don't care when I have to get rid of stuff - as long as it's not books who can only come in through my door, not out.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

oh, and we gave away some childproofing hardware on Free cycle, as well.

Stuff like freecycle takes time though, its not as fast as just tossing junk, but you not only feel better environmentally, the thought that someone else is using it makes it easier for packrats to get rid of things.

My rule - if its really of no use to anyone, or so little use its not worth giving or selling, junk it. If we know some relative will want it, give it to them. If its old clothes, salvation army or the like. Unique kinda items, that arent worth selling, freecycle. Items that are worth selling but are generic enough to have a local market, Craigslist.

Two things we mean to do but havent yet. High end old clothes (you tend to get these when you have a kid who outgrows things, but they can also be out of fashion) Consignment shop. Damned shops around here expect you to make an appointment before they'll take your stuff.

Sellable but unique stuff, obviously Ebay. Like CH, i find selling via ebay intimidating, but I noticed an Ebay store nearby, and intend to give them a try.

Comment

I also have a lot of boardgames (of the Avaalon Hill type). While I am not buying anymore (well, I did by Cansonne (sp?) recently, but that isn't neraly as intense), I sort of would like to collect them. They will just gt rarer I feel.

I already wish I had a copy of the Original boardgame, I bet that is getting harder to get also (been out of print for over a decade).

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

We've been getting rid of "stuff" for a while now in preparation for our move (after which we will then acquire a bunch of new things, of course, but nevermind that). Goodwill has gotten a lot of it.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                            Books are my curse.

Generally, what I want to have is a house that I own, on the "my home is my castle" grounds, and a library. I don't care whether other crap is mine or not, and I don't care when I have to get rid of stuff - as long as it's not books who can only come in through my door, not out.
                            Unless you end up wealthy, or in a cheap real estate market, and assuming you do end up with wife and kids, its not so easy dedicating a room to a library. And in a regular living room, too many bookcases start to look ridiculous.

Ive resolved that cheap old paperbook novels dont get the must be saved treatment - esp if theyre falling apart, or are kinda junky (in content) to begin with. Nor do outdated technical books, outdated travel books, etc, etc. They can be given away, sold, whatever.

The living room is only going to have hardbooks and the best soft covers, and the ones that are worth showing off content wise. The rest (of whats kept) will go to less visible rooms, or even the basement.

This project however, is still under way.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

out.

I want to cull my books, but collections from favourite authors from the past were so lovingly acquired and devoured at the time, and various technical books going back to college 20 years ago on Cobol, Pascal and Fortran might actually be usefull again one day. Or will they? What about the manual to Corel Draw 6, or Excel 97 - they should go. Apache? Too recent to kill. Powerbuilder 5.0? Director 7? Director 8.5? (Lost the licence code).
                              Geez man, if you didnt use Cobol in a major way in 1999, I think you know whether its ever going to be valuable again

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                                This is the direction I would like to be heading, though not perhaps the extent.
                                Yah, not many people would be as extreme as I am in that regard. I dislike holidays just because of getting presents. (The only good presents are edible I think...) Moving ~20 times in my first 18 years probably had something to do with it.

Right now the only "stuff" I have is a digital camcorder and tripod I don't use anymore, some dress-clothes I never wear anymore, and a box of basketball cards from my teen years. (About half of them are Michael Jordan cards... who knew being a Bulls fan in Utah, before Chicago won any titles, would be such a good investment? I didn't start collecting until '88 though, so don't have any of the really expensive cards. If I was 3 years older, I could've bought a nice house and fill it with lots of "stuff"! )

Everything else is daily-use, though most of it I can do without as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X