Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Blames Yahoo For Imprisonment, Torture

From NBC News:

NEW YORK -- A human rights group sued Yahoo Inc. Wednesday on grounds the U.S. search company assisted China's communist government with torture by revealing information that led to the arrest of dissidents.

The World Organization for Human Rights USA is seeking unspecified damages and wants Yahoo to actively secure the release of any detainees.

The group said businesses that operate abroad need to be more aware of their responsibilities.

"They should not be participating actively in promoting and encouraging major human rights abuses," said Morton Sklar, executive director for the Washington, D.C.-based organization.

Yahoo has acknowledged turning over data on its users at the request of the Chinese government, saying company employees face civil and criminal sanctions if they ignore local laws.

Without commenting directly on the federal lawsuit the human rights group filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, company spokesman Jim Cullinan said such matters are "better suited for diplomacy than it is in the legal forum."

He said that although company officials are "distressed that citizens in China have been imprisoned for expressing their political view on the Internet," Yahoo plans to keep offering services in China out of a belief the Internet can promote change and transform lives in that country.

The lawsuit cites federal laws that govern torture and other violations of international law. Plaintiffs included jailed dissident Wang Xiaoning and his wife, Yu Ling, who was visiting San Francisco this week as part of the group's campaign.

Sklar said he knew of three other cases, but the dissidents were reluctant to join the complaint for fear of harm to their families living in China. Among those three dissidents is journalist Shi Tao, who was sentenced in 2005 to 10 years in jail.

Part of the lawsuit's goal will be to determine how widespread Yahoo's assistance was, Sklar said, "and to stop this practice of U.S. corporations being complicit."

Yahoo rivals Microsoft Corp. and Google Inc. also have been accused of helping the Chinese government crush dissent in return for access to booming Internet markets, but only Yahoo has been accused of directly assisting in a dissident's arrest.

Google has offered a censored version of its popular search engine, while Microsoft shut down, at Beijing's request, a popular Chinese blog that touches on sensitive topics such as press freedoms.

Activists, meanwhile, have criticized Cisco Systems Inc. for selling computer networking equipment that could potentially be used to monitor Internet use.

"I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Yes, imprisonment of chinese dissidents is a laughing matter.
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

sure it is. especially when people sue on their behalf.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Where is Yahoo based? USA. USA journalists don't have to give up sources.
          As bad as what they did is, their statement on why they did it doesn't float the boat.

Yahoo has acknowledged turning over data on its users at the request of the Chinese government, saying company employees face civil and criminal sanctions if they ignore local laws.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Where is Yahoo based? USA. USA journalists don't have to give up sources.
            Are you familiar with the concept of wholly-owned subsidiaries?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher, you agree that Yahoo acted properly?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

They followed the law in China. If Yahoo started violating US law, Slow, you'd be up in arms.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ok. The next time someone makes a violent remark about Bush, and lives in the USA, should DanQ report it to the federal government of the USA?

Comment

violent bush on fire pharoah
                    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Ok. The next time someone makes a violent remark about Bush, and lives in the USA, should DanQ report it to the federal government of the USA?
                      It's against the law now to not report violent remarks (and in addition are obviously not serious threats) about Bush? When did that law pass?
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Asher, you agree that Yahoo acted properly?
                        I said no such thing, I'm just saying you were wrong in that sentence I quoted.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Sloww, Yahoo lives in both nations. To the extent that they do business in China, which they do so to a large extent, they must follow that country's laws. Perhaps you should object to them doing business in China, but if they do business there they must follow those laws.

Look at it this way. If a resident of Amsterdam flies to New York and buys a stash of pot, and gets caught, they'd clearly be guilty even though they're not committing a crime in the Netherlands. Conversely, if Slowwhand flies over to Germany and buys an assault rifle, he'd go to jail post haste, even though it's legal in Texas...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            They followed the law in China. If Yahoo started violating US law, Slow, you'd be up in arms.
                            ...and smashing their heads into the concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I said no such thing, I'm just saying you were wrong in that sentence I quoted.
                              So you were arguing with me just to argue? Arguing over semantics, rather than the issue? Ok. I was just checking.

Comment

Working...
                              X