Why the world is a better place than before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    And why did they think agriculture was going to make their lives a little better? There must have been a reason, right?
    I'm sure it made some people's lives better, but it transformed society so that most people ended up having a worse life. It also in my opinion made the world a worse place to live.

The point is that no one came up with an evil plan to ruin the world for their own gain, but as heirarchies developed things started to progress to a more exploitive society.

They were not as ill-fed. Peasants were worse fed. Read the excerp. Hunter-gatherer societies didn't have a social hierarchy because there was no property ownership.

Please read "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond, please. Social hierarchy existed as a result of food surpluses. It was able to support a group of people who did not toil for food.
    I see so there was a food surplus and someone just became ruler or some people just became rulers? The question is how did this happen. Surpluses made it possible, no one is denying that.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Maybe after Whitey came and ****ed everything up. Before that he pretty much lived in harmony with nature and there was plenty for everyone.
      OK, this is fukking absurd.

Comment

• btw, there were food surpluses in hunter-gatherer societies where no significant hierarchies developed.
        Last edited by Kidlicious; April 20, 2007, 11:21.

Comment

• Originally posted by aneeshm

OK, this is fukking absurd.
          It's pretty well accepted that the agricultural societies replaced the hunter-gatherer societies.

Comment

I'm sure it made some people's lives better, but it transformed society so that most people ended up having a worse life. It also in my opinion made the world a worse place to live.
            That's the entire problem in this thread - you take your opinion on what is a good/better life and turn it into something absolute.

Just that lots of people would disagree with what you see as good/better life.

The entire argument of more or less stress, more or less free time, hierarchical orders or not do not prove in anyway that something is better, since things like stress, work, hierarchy are not things which can be only described as "bad". That's a bit too simple. Stress can also be positive. Work can be a good experience. Hierarchy can help achieving certain things. Fine, they also have a downside, nobody is arguing against that. But so have most things, even the existance as hunter-gatherer.
            Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

It was my impression, however, that most "traditional" societies were highly intolerant of such things...

-Arrian
              Not really true.

There's been a homosexual subculture within India for millennia.

Comment

"Hunter-gatherer societies also tend to have non-hierarchical, egalitarian social structures. However, this is usually only the case in the more mobile societies, which generally are not able to store surplus food. "

wiki

Surplus of food is one cause of hierachialism.
                Duh!

Any concentration of power is a cause of hierarchy-formation.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro

That's the entire problem in this thread - you take your opinion on what is a good/better life and turn it into something absolute.

Just that lots of people would disagree with what you see as good/better life.

The entire argument of more or less stress, more or less free time, hierarchical orders or not do not prove in anyway that something is better, since things like stress, work, hierarchy are not things which can be only described as "bad". That's a bit too simple. Stress can also be positive. Work can be a good experience. Hierarchy can help achieving certain things. Fine, they also have a downside, nobody is arguing against that. But so have most things, even the existance as hunter-gatherer.
                  Sure for some people work, stress and hierarchy aren't that bad, but then they don't work in a sweet shop, or dig threw garbage for a dollar a day.

Comment

Maybe after Whitey came and ****ed everything up. Before that he pretty much lived in harmony with nature and there was plenty for everyone.

I sure hope you were being sarcastic.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• Originally posted by LordShiva

I sure hope you were being sarcastic.
                      Agriculture developed in a lot of different places. Whitey is a general term.

Comment

• Bushmen had no beer. Case closed.
                        Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by aneeshm

Duh!

Any concentration of power is a cause of hierarchy-formation.
                          I don't disagree with that, and I don't know what your point is.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro
                            Bushmen had no beer. Case closed.
                            And beer causes an extreme amount of suffering for millions of families and other victims.

Comment

And beer causes an extreme amount of suffering for millions of families and other victims.
                              Allright, back to ignore.
                              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

• That's nearly sig stuff
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X