No announcement yet.

Why the world is a better place than before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And your claim about much freer mind is still valid because... ?

Besides, people do talk. Peopel do enjoy birds and go for walks. We just have more options. Exactly why is liming options a good thing? Don't you believe in the freedom of people to choose what they want?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
      Probably talk to people or just enjoy the birds chirping. Maybe go for a walk. Lots of things.
      Have you ever tried listening the birds chirping for more than an hour?

Talk to people? Your group consists of 30 people, 8 of them are children, 2 are senile old men. Their intellects and personalities are randomly distributed, and it's far from easy to move to another group.

In a random group of 30 people, you won't be forced to conform to the mean because you will not even be aware that something beyond the mean exists.

Look at yourself today. You're a commie or something ridiculous along those lines, right? What if your neighborhood becomes your entire world? In a moment, that aspect of your personality will disappear because you'll be the only commie there.

You want a nice intelligent conversation around the fire in the evening? Tough luck. All you get is jokes about how someone ****ed a goat.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Eli, well why do you think people came up with alternative entertainment, hobbies, and all that?
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
            And your claim about much freer mind is still valid because... ?
            Just an opinion. You are welcome to disagree or even think I am arrogant. I just think that a lot of truth is hidden from us with smoke and mirrors and we need to open a few curtains and see what is going on behind the scenes so to speak in order to know how the world really works.
            Besides, people do talk. Peopel do enjoy birds and go for walks. We just have more options. Exactly why is liming options a good thing? Don't you believe in the freedom of people to choose what they want?
            I'm not saying that options should be limited. I'm just saying that the fact that we have more choices has not made us happier overall.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

This thread boils down to this:

Kid is generally not happy, and thus pines for a (partly mythical, IMO) different experience.

The others are generally happier, and thus have little reason to desire the life of the Bushman (and thus are less likely to buy into the idea that it's easier/superior).

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

Have you ever tried listening the birds chirping for more than an hour?

Talk to people? Your group consists of 30 people, 8 of them are children, 2 are senile old men. Their intellects and personalities are randomly distributed, and it's far from easy to move to another group.

In a random group of 30 people, you won't be forced to conform to the mean because you will not even be aware that something beyond the mean exists.

Look at yourself today. You're a commie or something ridiculous along those lines, right? What if your neighborhood becomes your entire world? In a moment, that aspect of your personality will disappear because you'll be the only commie there.

You want a nice intelligent conversation around the fire in the evening? Tough luck. All you get is jokes about how someone ****ed a goat.

Eli, we are very different people than people from different cultures in history. We need much more entertainment to satisfy ourselves, but at the end of the day were are often still not satisfied. A person living in a primitive society would also end the day probably at least just as satisfied. He would not be bored to death like you imagine. It would just be another day for him, even if he sat under a tree for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  This thread boils down to this:

Kid is generally not happy
                  Not true.

Comment

I'm not saying that options should be limited. I'm just saying that the fact that we have more choices has not made us happier overall.
                    A species that is happy with circumstances cannot build a civilization.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

"
                      I'm not saying that options should be limited. I'm just saying that the fact that we have more choices has not made us happier overall."

For this claim to be true you'd have to prove the happiness index of people in the past and now. And no, "we're not happy now" isn't good enough. And no, it is not obvious.
                      In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

A species that is happy with circumstances cannot build a civilization.
                        It's never about building a civilization. It's about personal greed. That's what changes society. Those that come out on top direct progress.

Comment

Eli, we are very different people than people from different cultures in history. We need much more entertainment to satisfy ourselves, but at the end of the day were are often still not satisfied. A person living in a primitive society would also end the day probably at least just as satisfied. He would not be bored to death like you imagine. It would just be another day for him, even if he sat under a tree for a long time.
                          And that's also true for a person who was born a slave in ancient times. You get used to the humiliation, the labor, the occasional beating and end the day probably at least just as satisfied.

But after you've seen and lived in a modern society, you won't be able to choose anything significantly different.

A SMAC quote for every occasion:
                          "Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective."

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            For this claim to be true you'd have to prove the happiness index of people in the past and now.
                            Either that or now about people. Look at us. Do you think getting all these new toys really makes you happy? Sure for a day maybe. Then the newness wheres off and you become unhappy. It's not because you don't have a new toy, it's because of your lifestyle. Your lifestyle makes you unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                              Kid:

WTF would you do all day long as a bushmen? There's no famine and in two hours you gathered all the berries you can eat. Now what? Even modern TV and commercials don't dumb people down as fast as staring at rocks all day long.

You socialize. You tell stories. You imagine. You love. You play games. You make funny noises. You laugh. You argue. You dance. You sing. You lay in the sun. You live.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                                But after you've seen and lived in a modern society, you won't be able to choose anything significantly different.
                                You can actually and often people do, but at first you cling to your attachment to your old life. But there are many people in this world who become less materialistic and spend much more time going for walks and things like that as they get older.

Comment

Working...
                                X