Why the world is a better place than before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrian
    You base this on what? I agree that farming resulted in more complex societies. What I'm getting at is that even the simpler ones had a hierarchical structure, as far as I know. Do you have a source that says otherwise (I admit I'm no expert)?

-Arrian
    "Hunter-gatherer societies also tend to have non-hierarchical, egalitarian social structures. However, this is usually only the case in the more mobile societies, which generally are not able to store surplus food. "

wiki

Surplus of food is one cause of hierachialism.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
      I pick choices. I CAN still pick bushman.
      And you probably will because you are addicted to modern life (stress etc.). You can't really comprehend another life.

Comment

But you can?
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

"Hunter-gatherer societies also tend to have non-hierarchical, egalitarian social structures. However, this is usually only the case in the more mobile societies, which generally are not able to store surplus food. "

wiki

Surplus of food is one cause of hierachialism.
          Source good.

I agree that settled, agricultural socities had more structure and hierarchy. I question whether hunter-gatherer societies really have none (non-hierarchical, egalitarian). Further, even if that is the case, I still question how they treat... deviation, shall we say, from social norms.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

But you can?
            My mind is much freer than yours.

Comment

Source good.

I agree that settled, agricultural socities had more structure and hierarchy. I question whether hunter-gatherer societies really have none (non-hierarchical, egalitarian). Further, even if that is the case, I still question how they treat... deviation, shall we say, from social norms.

-Arrian
              It's never going to be very hierarchial when everyone shares in the work.

Comment

And you claim this because..... ?
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's never going to be very hierarchial when everyone shares in the work.
                  "Not very hierarchical" =! No hierarchy at all.

Further, "very little hierarchy" does not mean that there are no social norms, and that people are necessarily tolerant of deviation from said norms (for instance, homosexuality).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

And you claim this because..... ?
                    If everyone works they are the same class. There is no justification of an elite class. With the developement of property ownership and religion you have justification for elitism.

Comment

"Not very hierarchical" =! No hierarchy at all.

Further, "very little hierarchy" does not mean that there are no social norms, and that people are necessarily tolerant of deviation from said norms (for instance, homosexuality).

-Arrian
                      A social norm and intoleration of differences is different. Think about what causes such oppression.

Comment

From the wiki on bushmen:

Traditionally the San possessed no status hierarchies[9]. They had no "chief" but instead made decisions among themselves, on a consensus basis. Women's status was relatively equal[10].
                        Ok, I concede on "no hierarchy" then. No mention is made of tolerance of differences, but depending on what "relatively equal" means in regards to women, it may be a reasonable assumption that it's a fairly tolerant society, which would render my argument re: gays in primitive societies weak.

I maintain my argument about hunger/famine, and of course life expectancy is obviously vastly different.

-Arrian
                        Last edited by Arrian; April 19, 2007, 15:02.

Comment

In reading some more online about the Bushmen, it seems that there are very clearly defined gender roles. Men and women are expected to act a certain way.

Which to me is a "social norm." Now, what happens if an individual in that society doesn't conform?

-Arrian

Comment

In reading some more online about the Bushmen, it seems that there are very clearly defined gender roles. Men and women are expected to act a certain way.

Which to me is a "social norm." Now, what happens if an individual in that society doesn't conform?

-Arrian
                            If you would have read a little farther you would have seen that there was significantly less social pressure placed on people.

One thing that you have to realized is that even though they had a sexual division of labor this division was not a source of exploitation or oppression as in more modern societies.

Comment

Kid:

WTF would you do all day long as a bushmen? There's no famine and in two hours you gathered all the berries you can eat. Now what? Even modern TV and commercials don't dumb people down as fast as staring at rocks all day long.
                              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                                Kid:

WTF would you do all day long as a bushmen? There's no famine and in two hours you gathered all the berries you can eat. Now what? Even modern TV and commercials don't dumb people down as fast as staring at rocks all day long.
                                Probably talk to people or just enjoy the birds chirping. Maybe go for a walk. Lots of things.

Comment

Working...
                                X