Why the world is a better place than before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrian
    Are you honestly going to assert that members of a subsistance society (whether farmers or hunter-gatherers) did not worry about finding enough food to last through the winter/dry season? Are you ****ing kidding me?

-Arrian
    Again, on most years there was plenty.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Again, on most years there was plenty.
      What years? What timeframe? What regions? Climate?
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

What years? What timeframe? What regions? Climate?
        MOST years, until advancements started to occur. Advancements are what caused the overpopulation and famines. Nature itself did not cause as much famine.

Comment

The likehood of famine in any given year was low, sure. But given how catastrophic famine can be, ancient societies feared it greatly. Their religions tended to center around praying for good harvests.

Granted, I'm talking about settled agricultural societies now, with more complexity than hunter-gatherer bushman society. Still, finding enough food was a serious life & death thing, and there is no way I can imagine that it was not a major source of stress.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

No it's not, and either is it today. It's nice to have comfortable shoes etc.. , but in usually things were very stable for primative societies. There was famine and drought, things like that, but most years were pretty good.
            A man your age would probably already be dead in a primitive society.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No, societal pressure on individuals is a result of hierarchial social organization. Hierarchial social organization is the by product of such things as religion as well as other things.
              What society has no hierarchy? Primitive societies were less complex, but they had structure, man.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I can't believe that Kiddy thinks that prehistoric society was better than today's.

Wait. Scratch that. What I really can't believe is that I just said that.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The likehood of famine in any given year was low, sure. But given how catastrophic famine can be, ancient societies feared it greatly. Their religions tended to center around praying for good harvests.

Granted, I'm talking about settled agricultural societies now, with more complexity than hunter-gatherer bushman society. Still, finding enough food was a serious life & death thing, and there is no way I can imagine that it was not a major source of stress.

-Arrian
                  Primative society is not the same as agricultural society.

Comment

I love the whole "people are pressured to be what their family/society/corporations(!) want them to be bit." As if a person in a primitive society had a choice about their role?

You are a bushman. You are a hunter. That's your job, end of story. You don't get a choice. But clearly you would be happier, because at least you aren't stuck in a cubicle!

-Arrian

Comment

Primative society is not the same as agricultural society.
                      We need to define some things. By primative you mean hunter-gatherer. Fine. I'll try to stick to that, and leave out farming societies.

-Arrian

Comment

What society has no hierarchy? Primitive societies were less complex, but they had structure, man.

-Arrian
                        They were incredibly different in regards to social hierarchy. And were so until agricultural and religion became implemented.

Comment

You base this on what? I agree that farming resulted in more complex societies. What I'm getting at is that even the simpler ones had a hierarchical structure, as far as I know. Do you have a source that says otherwise (I admit I'm no expert)?

-Arrian

Comment

You are a bushman. You are a hunter. That's your job, end of story. You don't get a choice. But clearly you would be happier, because at least you aren't stuck in a cubicle!

-Arrian
                            Yes, it is better to not have a choice than to be stuck in a cubicle. I couldn't have said it better.

Comment

Me, I pick the cubicle, every damn time.

-Arrian

Comment

I pick choices. I CAN still pick bushman.
                                In da butt.
                                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                                X