Why the world is a better place than before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the world is a better place than before

Yeah, the sky is falling every other day, breaking news, people dead, wars and even things that seem that they should be worked out with our abilities such as hunger.

But.. when we look back, it seems to me the world has been a better place consistently when the time moves forward. Few factors, civilized ides of course modify advanced societies and usually those ideas always have few fundamentals, such as equality and all kinds of rights. Seems trivial, and these are not functioning to their full extent, sometimes they don't work at all, but at least we know good ideas. It's still better than not knowing them, even if we can't implement them.

We do learn from history. This is usually used when wars happen. But then again, we do learn from history, we can project things, we can compare, and things like science do go forward. Scientific methods are solid, and there are large communities that devote their lives to give us new improvements, and many of them that seem obvious today make our lives better. Sure, science comes up with better weapons, but also cures, technology of all kinds, entertainment at the end. Tools, help, something to do.

Every day the amount of science is more. I figure the more we have it, the better we are for it, even as a human race. Some fields grow faster and faster the more they know and we are able to utilize solid work from the past, because it was solid and we are able to grade and evaluate the work, even for future applications. These are huge advancements.

In the last few decades, we have connected all the people of the world into a single platform where we can change and share ideas, where we can make friends, have intercultural communication, do flame wars, do business... of course nto everyone is connected, it is a question of certain amount of wealth. But in theory, we are all connected now. Our cultures are shaping, new generations are learning yet new ways to communicate fast, think differently, hopefully build on what we now know to know even more.

The world isn't going into worse direction. We have the bad things we always had. But the amount of good things are ever increasing and the potential is bigger and bigger by the day.

I wouldn't even want to go back as close as the 80s. I want to live now. Maybe I could take a peak at the future as well .
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Sometimes I think that Pekka is an ex-KGB spy for some strange Finnish political sect, and that his posts actually have some important meaning if you had the super-secret decoder ring. Unfortunately, I don't have that ring.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

OH COME ON!!!!

In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
          Sometimes I think that Pekka is an ex-KGB spy for some strange Finnish political sect, and that his posts actually have some important meaning if you had the super-secret decoder ring. Unfortunately, I don't have that ring.
          Statistical anomaly.
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Life is alot harder than it was forty thousand years ago, and the world was alot healthier then, too.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I don't buy that (life was easier). It was certainly shorter, though.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Compare the life of a bushman (and imagine, if you can, them living in a word that isn't undersiege) to a tokyo buisnessman and tell me which has the easier life.

People a hundred years ago had shorter lives, too. People today have shorter lives, too - that is, the people in the third world. The people who make our decadance possible. Our serfs, servants, and slaves, that is. It's always good to be king, whenever the time period - and we are the kings today.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                  Compare the life of a bushman (and imagine, if you can, them living in a word that isn't undersiege) to a tokyo buisnessman and tell me which has the easier life.
                  Define "easier". We live certainly in more complex societies now, but these bring also certain benefits.
                  Blah

Comment

The tokyo businessman has the easier life.

People a hundred years ago had shorter lives, too. People today have shorter lives, too - that is, the people in the third world. The people who make our decadance possible. Our serfs, servants, and slaves, that is. It's always good to be king, whenever the time period - and we are the kings today.
                    Rhetoric aside, point taken that the 1st world is not representative of all of humanity. I suspect, however, that if one took the average life expectancy on earth now and compared it to 40k years ago, it would still be higher.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Re: Why the world is a better place than before

Originally posted by Pekka
                      The world isn't going into worse direction. We have the bad things we always had. But the amount of good things are ever increasing and the potential is bigger and bigger by the day.
                      Most people are just as bad off as they have been for a long time. In fact, I would have to say that for the common man, at least in the US life has gotten harder and much more complicated. Sure we have more gadgets but they don't make people happier. In fact they seem to be part of the problem in many ways.

Society is really starting to break down. I really can't see where your optimism is coming from unless you are just fantasizing to make yourself feel good.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Pekka, you have lost your mind, EVIL is on the rise....... you will soon see the error of your wasted optomism........
                        "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Thorn, you're not a proper freak.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            The tokyo businessman has the easier life.
                            Why? **** just getting to work on the subway or commuter traffic is probably harder than a whole day for the bushman.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Why? **** just getting to work on the subway or commuter traffic is probably harder than a whole day for the bushman.
                              Then I wonder why people are not trying to live like bushmen in larger numbers
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X